Need advice for my first build

Sibidill

Beta member
Hey everyone i was hoping i could get some help on what i should keep or change on this build.

Intel 4790k
Asus maximus hero vii
evga gtx 780ti superclocked
H100i
seasonic x series 850w
nzxt phantom 820
samsung 849 evo

i know the case is kinda of over kill but i already have it because i got it as a gift from a friend
also i cannot figure out what ram i should be looking at
i was thinking of getting the g.skill trident x's but i don't know which ones exactly so any advice would be much appreciated! If some one could tell me which ram i should specifically get that would be awesome
and as for the cooling would anyone recommend anything over the h100i for this build?

would i also be better off getting an even better graphics card? or should i just stick with the 780?

Hello there :)

I see that one of the tag is compatibility. For this allow me to suggest Kingston RAM as it is know for its compatibility and friendliness. I use the HyperX 1600MHz and it works great. If the build is mainly for games, then I see that faster RAM won't make much of a difference.

As for the CPU cooler, if you are not interested in serious overclocking, I personally suggest professional air cooling instead. Zalman has a good collection of those. But if the price was not an issue, then I believe liquid cooling would be a good choice.

Regarding the video card, the GTX 780 Ti you have, which is even better than the regular 780, is one of the best out there. I see that unless you want to play heavy video games on multi-monitor span mode, there is no need to go further.

Just my $0.02

H100 is overkill if you don't plan on doing serious overclocking. Not just overclocking, but serious overclocking. I have the H60 2013 edition. Works wonders. and my I7-4770K is overclocked with more than 1000mhz with Hyper threading still enabled.
If you don't plan on overclocking (or only a little) I can recommend the Coolermaster 212 Evo. It's one of the best mid end coolers, and at a price you will like.

If you want to go with the superclocked 780Ti, you should check the price on the non overclocked version first. If it's lower, get the non OC'ed version. You can overclock easily yourself.

For the RAM. Smart_guys RAM is a good and popular choice. You can't go wrong with that.
However i'll recommend these: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) - PCPartPicker
It's a 2x4 CasL 7 kit running at 1600mzh using 1.5V. All for the price of 75 bucks. Not bad.

If you want to go with the superclocked 780Ti, you should check the price on the non overclocked version first. If it's lower, get the non OC'ed version. You can overclock easily yourself.

According to PCpartPicker.com it is much more expensive. What are you paying for it?

Here is a filtered list on PCpartPicker: Choose A Video Card - PCPartPicker
I'll recommend one of the first 3.
The cheapest of the 780Ti cards is funny enough the one i'll buy myself if i wanted a 780Ti. The Asus DirectCU II version.
I have the Asus GTX 770 DirectCU2 myself
The DirectCU II cooler is fantastic. It's quiet, good performing and looks awesome. It even has a backplade. As far as i remember the Gigabyte Windforce cooler is the better cooler, but it's not as quiet.

Last edited:
I would drop the 780 Ti. According to GPUBOSS, the GTX 970 performs just a little less than the 780 Ti, while consuming half the power, and I believe the GTX 970 is substantial for overclocking. Not only that, but you save yourself about $300 on the flipping thing.

Check this out:
GeForce GTX 970 vs 780 Ti

Back
Top Bottom