Need advice on Laptop Hardware

getarpunkosh

Solid State Member
I'm looking for a reliable laptop for school. All I need it for is word processing, some internet and watching dvds. I was wondering how much RAM, cache L2 memory, processor speed, and graphic cards i need to be able to do all of that smoothly. I was looking at these computers: Acer Aspire 5050 5430 and this gateway. I'll replace the 1GB of ram with 2GB to run vista. but other than that, are these sufficient? thanks

Thanks. The gateway is probably the one i'm going to get. What do you think about gateways reliability and costumer service?

Well, I'll be honest. I've never had any good experiences with them.

I've heard they've gotten better, especially when they merged with Acer.

If your budget allows, buy a Dell or HP.

yeah go with the gateway, better work processor, larger screen, and more hdd but like J said look into the dells

i have a latitude and its extremely reliable battery life is horrible but hey i got it for 200 bux

If you can, look into the Dell's Vostro line. They'll fit well into your allowed budget.

get a dell 1520(runs very well)
get 2 gb ram on it
and get a nvidia geforce 8400M GS
perfect for your needs, dvd, running programs(even a bit of gaming)

Sorry guys, i forgot to mention my price range. i'm only willing to spend at the very most $600. I have a desk top, but i need the portability for college and stuff.

If you can, look into the Dell's Vostro line. They'll fit well into your allowed budget.
vostro is ugly, but it will do the job on a budget. inspirons are decent too, my 640M is the same as an inspiron E1405. i got it with very nice specs for 656 shipped to my door, with tax included.

Back
Top Bottom