Need Advice: Building First Computer

Shane_vt87

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,
I'm planning on building my first computer and id really appreciate it if people could offer some advice as to how to go about it. Ive installed ram, video cards and DVD drives into my computers before but ive never mounted the motherboard or hooked up the powersupply. So its all a bit daunting. Ive been searching on here for a thread that explains the process but im yet to find 1. I just dont want to ruin any of my parts.

Planning on building an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 on a
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P in an Antec 1200. not really sure whether the Gigabyte is the way to go yet, im open to suggestions... Video card will be sapphire radeon 4870

Sorry got a bit off track, so yes this is my first rig im going to build from scratch, most people who post on here could probably do it with their eyes closed... all help and advice would be greatly appreciated,

Make sure motherboard is compatable with your case (Form factor such as ATX), RAM is compatable with mobo, powersupply has correct main connector (20+4 pin, 20pin, 24 pin, etc), make sure the interfaces are correct with motherboard, drives and whatnot (SATA, IDE, etc)... Make sure the mobo processor socket is the same socket size as the processor you buy...Ex: LGA 775

Also, what is your budget? What type of things will you be doing on it? Gaming, web surfing, what games will u be playing, etc...

Openbox on newegg for your mobo
$130+shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128346R

I admit there is a risk for open boxes, sometimes its worth it, i personally havent had any problems with open box items, maybe im lucky

dont forget to put the standoffs in the case. when i put my 1st build together the PSU looked so challenging but it's really not. gl with your build!

I admit there is a risk for open boxes, sometimes its worth it, i personally havent had any problems with open box items, maybe im lucky
Newegg always test open box items to check if they are functional, there's just a risk not all the accessories will be included.

And go with Visiontek for the HD 4870, lifetime warranty.

Thanks every1 for your input.
I brought the parts for my build, ended up getting:
1. Intel Quad Q9550
2. Gigabyte X48-DS4 mobo
3. Corsair PC-8500 1066MHz Dominator- 4GBz worth (only got this ram cause it was the same price as the Corsair Twinx 6400-800MHz)
4. Sapphire Radeon 4870X2 :)
5. PSU Antec Truepower Quattro 850 (I hope this is enough!!! In not overclocking or adding anything extra atm, maybe just a tv pci card, so it should be ok...i hope)
6. Antec 1200 case
7.Samsung 750Gb HDD
8. Acer 24"w

So yeh as you can tell i spent a little bit of money:eek:, but i got all the parts super cheap especially the 4870X2- got that just under $200 below the RRP ...but this comp is gonna have to last me for 2 years or so, thats how old my other pc is.

prodigy2k7 going to be using it for a bit of gaming, farcry2, Crysis, etc, im not a hardcore gamer but my younger brother is. Also used for Video editing/rendering, websurfing, Assignments:mad:, with the 24" lcd its gonna replace my tv in my room.

Now all i have to do is build it... i know how to install everything except the PSU, i've never hooked up a PSU before...just looking at it makes my mind spin. Especially that the Antec 1200 has 6 fans to hook up aswell, im not really sure where to begin with the PSU. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks every1

Back
Top Bottom