Nasty keyboard problem

Zidane1

Beta member
Hello,
I have a really annoying keyboard problem, so I hoped somebody could help me out. The problem is, my keyboard does not work when I get Windows loaded. If I touch any key, then my mouse freezes, so I have to restart my PC. In the Control Panel, when I check the keyboard properties, it shows me this:

Manufacturer: (Standard keyboards)

Device Status: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

The troubleshooter is no help at all. Uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling the hardware doesn't seem to work. Safe mode doesn't solve anything, too. Using another keyboard didn't help. System Restore doesn't make any difference either. I also copied my old keyboard drivers to a floppy disk and replaced them with the backup copies of the i8042prt.sys and kbdclass.sys files. Still didn't work.

My OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
My keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

I have seen more than enough people doing posts on this problem and not getting a solution. For example:
http://help.lockergnome.com/lofiversion/index.php/t36450.html

I'm a bit stuck at this point and I've run out of ideas, so a solution for this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Zidane

did you try uninstalling it while in safe mode, then letting windows re-load it when it boots back up?
woz

Sorry that I couldn't answer for so long - Internet problems. I tried your suggestion - didn't work. I also tried to use another PS/2 keyboard - nope.

It might be yuor PS/2 port is out in someway.

I'd try and buy a USB keyboard, as you can buy those pretty cheaply.

You might find that will work as a work around.

Well, that is not a too bad idea, but are you sure that it will work? Because in case I buy it, I want to be sure that it won't have the same problem.

From my experiences, usually when you're having a keyboard problem, the problem is associated with the port, not the drivers. I've seen many of keyboards go bad, and I think only 2 or 3 times has it been a driver issue. I would do what Zidane suggested and try using a USB keyboard.

Don't you mean Kage? :p

Yeah, pick up a cheap USB keyboard, and I bet you'll find it'll work. Heres hoping :)

Or find a techy friend with alot of them, I have 5 keyboards in my closet for no particular reason lol

but Anyways, Just a suggestion, This happened to my keyboard at school when the dumb f***s in front of me messed with my cords, Could the pin have broken off inside it and the connection not work, then when you plugged the other in it bent that ones pin? Probably not but its work looking at close to see *shrugs*

What puzzles me is why touching the keyboard would affect the mouse.. Have you spilt (or anyone that lives with you) spilt a liquid near the back that could be creating short near the mouse and keyboard connection to the mobo

Nah... Nobody spilled anything. And I tried changing PS/2 keybards with no result, so the pin can't be broken.I see that the best solution would be to buy a USB keyboard. Before I do, though, I'd like to know, will using the Recovery Console or reinstalling Windows work?

OK, I reinstalled Windows, that seemed to fix the problem. Big thanks to everyone who helped to solve this problem! Bye!

Back
Top Bottom