NAS vs. External

DrGlove

Solid State Member
Hi all,

New here and I'm in a dilemma of choice atm. I've just picked up a 1TB Sata2 hdd and am trying to figure out my best options for my data. I have about 1TB already full and bought this one to fill with my downloads and such.

Now, I'm trying to decide between an external enclosure (USB 2.0, 480Mbps), a dedicated NAS (say the D-Link DNS 323, 100Mbps with current router), or a NAS that supports both. It needs to be portable and I need to be able to access it without a router/internet connection without having to pop the NAS open and swap the HDD out to an enclosure/rig, but I share most of my data. The problem I face with the NAS' that double as an external is that I cannot use FAT32 because of the file limit, but will NTFS be too slow over a 100Mbps connection to get good transfer speeds of 12.5MB/s peak? The benefit of enclosure would be speed+portability, but harder to distribute (e.g. I am hosting a LAN coming up and need to distribute ~100gigs of games).

Perhaps I'm just thinking out loud but any input is appreciated!
DrGlove

Yes, in terms of speed I'm willing to stick with 100Mbps as opposed to 480Mbps until I can get a good gigabit router. How hard is it to access your data if you have no access to a router/switch or the internet? I think I will end up getting the DNS 323 as I've heard great things about it; just need to figure out the portability part next :D

Thanks for the reply celegorm!

Back
Top Bottom