My Proposed Custom Build - Critique?

Was thinking XP pro awhile ago, but decided against it. Seems like a waste of money for me. Why do you recommend it?

I'll check Western Digital, thanks.

Alright, but I won't need screws or cables or anything? I'll get the Arctic Silver 5, as a backup. What temperature should I allow my CPU, video card, MOBO, and... other stuff to get to? Do I need to have open three or four seperate programs to monitor temps for me?

Screws should come with the case and cables should come with the motherboard. You may have to use a few cables off of your old computer, but then you can just order the ones you used so you can have your old computer in operation again. You just won't be able to use it for a few days...

I have XP Home on this computer, and on my laptop I have XP Pro. XP Pro just doesn't have as much crap on it as XP Home, but it is really no different. Just get the XP Home, it is cheaper and exactly the same software with just a little junk on it. You can easily get rid of all the stuff you'll want to in a day or so.

Oh, yeah, you're right! I read some reviews on Newegg that said that motherboard couldn't use Maxtor SATA hard drives... I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me. Luckily, I have an ATA Maxtor (I'm getting that same motherboard, see below in signature) so it'll work fine I'm sure.

Works for me. What about monitoring the temperatures and such? After I check them during games and normal usage, and I have an idea of where they run, I don't need to eye them 24/7, do I?

What stuff needs to be monitored?

My wattage seems to be enough, according to this calculator:
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

no its just the maxtors that have the problem if im told correctly plus western digital is always good to go with so i would go with that

HAVE FUN MAN I remember my first build like it was last week........O wait it was last week. JK LOLSSSSS BUT SERIOUSLY HAVE FUN

PW

Temperatures only need to be monitored during benchmark tests or heavy gaming. As long as you don't overclock, though, there's really no need except for a few times when you're first getting it set up. Just to be sure the heatsinks are all working well and everything is secured properly. Do a routine check of heatsinks and such whenever you have your case out or something, just in case.

That HDD looks fine. Go with that one over the Maxtor! :D

Well, how do I know if the heatsink is working well? Just by checking the temp?

I'm so worried I'm gonna have some little problem and then it'll all be for naught.

well when it 1st boots up check the cpu temps from the bios (before installing windows), I'd say that anything over 50C is too much.
Then just install windows etc. Then when u get the drivers installed check ur vid card temp from the utility that comes with the drivers. (nvidia display or something like that) It shouldn't run too hot, I'd say that over 70C is too hot.

And with that too hot I mean that it's running hotter than it should, but if the temps go higher there is no need to panic. The cpu can take 65C (not 100% sure of this) and the vid card can take 120C.
But ofcourse when the components are under load they will produce alot more heat, so try to check the temps while gaming too. (something like the mobo utility would be good for checking the cpu temp)
If the under load temps start to go close to the max temps that the part can handle then get some better cooling.

Back
Top Bottom