My PC is too loud!!! lol

BrianS

In Runtime
So I have an old Dell Dimension 4550 (4-5 years old) to tell you the truth it is still a pretty decent machine. Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM running Ubuntu It has 2 500GB hard drives. I only use it as a file server to hold all my music, movies and to do regular backups of my laptop.

It runs fine but when there is nothing else on, you can hear a hum that is somewhat annoying. I know its not the hard drives, because it is a constant hum, not intermittently while I am doing something on it.

Will changing the case fan to a newer quiet one take care of the majority of the noise? I can deal with a small hum of the fan, but right now, in order to cover it up, i need to run the air conditioner in my room to overpower it. The ceiling fan on high won't even cover up the noise.

Any suggestions?

There are two things that make it hum.

1. Something is pressing against the tower case. Such as a peice of paper, book, cds, or something else. I found this out a couple years ago when my old computer did that.

2. Yea, take out your old CPU fan and clean it and take out the cpu and clean it. There will probably be a lot of dust in there. If the fan is in bad shape, buy a new one. If you have other fans, clean them also and check if they need to be replaced.

You won't need to take the actual CPU out just blow the heatsink and fans off with compressed air.

right, you dont need to clean the cpu, clean the cpu fan and get any dust you see out of there.

Back
Top Bottom