Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 49
Default My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it. It wont turn on anymore and before that it would turn on for a little while then turn off before it loaded windows vista. Is this most likely a virus instead of the power adapter?
__________________

jimmy2o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Computer Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,841
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

It's most likely not a virus if it will not power on at this point. Does the laptop show any indication of receiving power (i.e. charging light when plugged in)? If so, does your battery show any charge (if it has one of those meters)? I'm thinking somewhere you have a hardware issue.
__________________

__________________
A+, Network+
Official "Birthday Man" of CF.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 49
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

I used my other laptops power adapter and it works. Now it will boot windows but then it says windows update stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. After that it never finishes the update and than it shuts down and restarts and it just keeps repeating this process. Before all this the computer asked me if i wanted to do system repair or boot normally. I choose to boot normally. Is there anyway when it boots up to run system repair manually cause system repair doesn't show up anymore.
jimmy2o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Baseband Member
 
Jaymo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 85
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

You can try leaving the laptop plugged in, but turned off and allow the battery to charge for a few hours (providing there is a charge light as computer head mentioned). I would assume that its 90% not a virus but more probable to be a hardware issue.

Have you recently upgraded onto vista from xp on this machine?
Have you tried a different laptop adapter?

Also you should try looking at your boot options (safe mode, last known good configuration etc). what specs is your laptop?
Jaymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 49
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
You can try leaving the laptop plugged in, but turned off and allow the battery to charge for a few hours (providing there is a charge light as computer head mentioned). I would assume that its 90% not a virus but more probable to be a hardware issue.

Have you recently upgraded onto vista from xp on this machine?
Have you tried a different laptop adapter?

Also you should try looking at your boot options (safe mode, last known good configuration etc). what specs is your laptop?
I used my other laptops power adapter and it works. Now it will boot windows but then it says windows update stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. After that it never finishes the update and than it shuts down and restarts and it just keeps repeating this process. Before all this the computer asked me if i wanted to do system repair or boot normally. I choose to boot normally. Is there anyway when it boots up to run system repair manually cause system repair doesn't show up anymore. I dont know the specs.
jimmy2o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Computer Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,841
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

It sounds like a Windows update gone bad. That's happened to me before. Try booting into Safe Mode and running system restore back to a date when it was working.
__________________
A+, Network+
Official "Birthday Man" of CF.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 49
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Head View Post
It sounds like a Windows update gone bad. That's happened to me before. Try booting into Safe Mode and running system restore back to a date when it was working.
How do I run it in safe mode and run system restore back to a date when it was working?
jimmy2o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
Computer Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,841
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2o9 View Post
How do I run it in safe mode and run system restore back to a date when it was working?
When your computer turns on, right after it gets past the first screen (with the manufacturer or whatnot), press F8 repeatedly until a menu comes up. Use the arrow keys to choose "Safe Mode" and press enter to boot into safe mode. From there, run system restore by going to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Then restore to a previous point in time. It should pop up a calendar with available restore points.
__________________
A+, Network+
Official "Birthday Man" of CF.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 49
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Head View Post
When your computer turns on, right after it gets past the first screen (with the manufacturer or whatnot), press F8 repeatedly until a menu comes up. Use the arrow keys to choose "Safe Mode" and press enter to boot into safe mode. From there, run system restore by going to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Then restore to a previous point in time. It should pop up a calendar with available restore points.
Is there a way to do that before windows start cause even in safe mode I don't think I will get past the update that's gone bad.
jimmy2o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
xxcobraxx
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: England
Posts: 6,224
Default Re: My other laptop stopped working!!! I need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

you can put your vista repair disk in.

if you do not have one you can make one, download this:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

You need a torrent program to download, so lets start of with download Bitlord from bitlord.com and choose stable version, now download and install, now click http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/ and download which ever one your windows is, i'm gussing it's 32bit, anyhow, download it via bitlord and then when it's done follow this

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

goodluck man
__________________

__________________
Liveleaker
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0