My new Gaming comp, I need suggestions :P

How anyone fills up 2 250GB drives is beyond me.

But I reccommend a 10k Western Digital Raptor if you can afford one. I could get by with a 36.7GB model, but you can get 73.4GB or a 148GB models too.

bump up the ram man 512 doesnt cut it anymore, you might not need it for gaming, but you'll surely need it for something else, remember that windows eats ram constantly

You can free up RAM by disabling all visual effects, un-needed services, and running minimum programs in the background, as well as running non-resource hogs, so you might be able to get away with 512MB RAM.

...Just :p

Its still best to switch to 1GB though. I do have 1GB, and find that windows still hogs half of it.
Though its leaving me about 648MB free at the moment, and I've got a few things open...

Usually it leaves me with around 400MB

acekrn said:
okay, dont buy anything from alienware.. WAYYY TOO OVERPRICED.. just get it custom built! you can shave off 500 bux easily man

100% correct. I'd happily say the same about Dell.

Alienware UK sells machines for £2000+ which are, in the grand scheme of things, RUBBISH. Bad components, P4 based laptops, poor build quality, you name it.

I'd always say build it yourself if you're a hardcore gamer. I think $500 isn't too unrealistic with regards to the figure you'd save.

lol, I currently have about 240MB free RAM outta the 512MB on my machine. I'm playing a video in Winamp, browsing 3 tabs in Firefox, and have ZoneAlarm, AVG, and MS AntiSpyware running in the background.

I can get that done on my laptop with 240MB RAM, so I dunno, Windows seems to have a way of using up more RAM on machines with more...

Yeah its true that windows uses up more, the more you have. Thats only to keep things smoother though, i,e, it loads more when you don't need it, so when you need it, it won't have to load.

trust me firefox, and winamp shouldnt be eating all the ram anyways. when you start running programs like photoshop, illustrator, and painter all together along with winamp, firefox, and microsoft word, and creative mediasource player, you'll see the effects of poor ram. i mean this is obviously not the case with everyone, because not everybody uses all the ram. but its safe to get 512 more while you're building so you dont end up having to upgrade and loosing money in the long run.

Nah, the most programs I'd have open would be ZoneAlarm, AVG, MSAS, TuneUp Mem Optimizer, MS Word XP, Firefox, Winamp (playing video in classic skin), MSNM, AIM, and YIM. And even then I still have quite a lot of RAM left.

I do do video-editing every now and then though...I dunno how much extra RAM would affect it though.

Back
Top Bottom