My new Computer turns off and on by itself

jorgegee

Solid State Member
Just bought a new computer i5 750 w/o the graphics card or OS. I installed a GTS 250 and turned on to install Windows, but the computer turns on for about 15 seconds and then shuts off by itself for a period of about 5 seconds. Then it starts by itself again and follows the same pattern. There are no warning beeps, and I checked every single cable to make sure they are properly connected.

I tried it by removing the graphics card, I removed one of the memory sticks, removed both, pluged in the computer to a different outlet, and all the basics. Everything is new in the computer and I doubt that this is caused by the power supply. I think this is more related to the mobo. I have an AsRock P55M Pro

Any leads on what this could be from some of the experienced guys?

Thanks,

Do you have the case button (on/off/reset/leds/etc) jumpers set correctly. Did someone build this? I'm assuming so since I've never heard of a computer coming without an O/S from a retailer.

I purchased the computer customized and removed the OS and graphics card since I already had both and allowed me to save some $. I got it from http://www.computerlx.com/ and I'll be calling their tech support on Monday, but I was wondering is someone had had the same happen to their computer, and had a quick suggestion that I probably missed.

Here's a good thing I just thought of. Can you see if they put the motherboard standoffs on? It could be shorting out...not good. MB standoffs are small pieces that the motherboard screws into. They hold the MB off of the metal MB tray.

I went to check and I do see these standoffs. They are these little cylinders separating the mobo from the case frame, right? The mobo is not touching the case directly. Thanks for the suggestion though

Okay. Well that's good. Figured we'd might as well start simple.

Do you know much about computers? I need to know how "technical" to reply back. The next thing we'll check is to clear the CMOS. Unplug the computer and then find the battery on the MB. You'll need to pull this battery out and leave it out for about 2 minutes (in all reality it doesn't need to be that long, but we'll play it safe). Place the battery back in and start it up and see if anything different happens.

i had a laptop with a very similar problem. it just wouldnt boot up if it was cold/hadnt been on in over an hour. try to turn on the computer and just let it run for a few minutes, see if that helps with anything. do you get to the BIOS screen and if you do then how far does the loading bar go before it restarts?

Thanks for replying dude. I have average knowledge; as long as we don't get too technical. I removed the battery now and waiting a couple minutes like you said. Sorry it took a few minutes - I had to remove the graphics card to get to it.

I will put the battery back and reply with results in a bit

My screen doesn't even get any connection to the CPU; it jus stays blank. I also let it run for about 5 mins and it kept doing the same. I don't want to let it do it too long in case it does have some kind of short.

Do you have a monitor port directly on your motherboard? If you don't know I can find out for you. When you reset the BIOS, you may not get anything on your screen until you set the PCI-E settings to make the video go through the GPU and not the motherboard.

No, the mobo does not have a monitor connection because it does not have integrated graphics.

I just found out that if I keep pressing the reset button (not the power button) every 10 secs, the computer keeps getting power, but of course never starts. I still keep thinking that there is something wrong with the mobo or something is not connected properly.

Back
Top Bottom