is my motherboard bad?
I have an asus laptop I'm trying to fix for a friend. The symptoms are that it will switch rapidly between charging/not charging when plugged in. It will also sometimes not power on when the charger is in. But, it will run ok on just AC, or just battery. Originally the battery was toast, so I only discovered this after replacing it.
Using my multimeter I confirmed solid 12v from the charger. Broke down the laptop and there is a mobo and a little extra board with the dc jack and some ports that connects to it.
I disconnected this board, plugged the charger in and confirmed 12v on the pins on the DC jack. Then, I reconnected the boards together. Plugged in the charger, checked the pins on DC jack and battery port. Got something like 0.7 volts on both, then the green light on the charger went out, and I got nothing.
thinking something on the main mobo is shorting and killing the charger. Planning to replace the main board. Does that sound like the right thing to do? Anyone seen this before?