My laptop takes too long to startup xp ... should I get XPLite?

eapro

In Runtime
I ony have one item in (logitech setpoint) my startup and it still takes about 35 second for xp to fully load. Not too shaby you might say but this is a 12hundred dollar gateway running xp home on Intel Centrino.

I've heard about xplite and i downloaded the trial version...when I tried it, i must have removed a vital file because my resolution were fu*ked up and I had to restore.

So my question is...

1. What program would you suggest for removing useless junk from xp?... XPlite?
2. How can I avoid removing an important file...is there a list or something?

Thanks.

Don't get XP Lite. What are your system specs for your laptop anyways? Laptops usually run on slower hard drives and crappy RAM. Do an upgrade on both and you'll notice a difference.

I don't want to upgrade anything, just remove unnecessary xp components. Why don't you like XPlite?

Pentium M 1.6GHz
512MB ram

It leaves out a lot of stuff and you always want the full potential of the operating system. Full Windows XP is actually very fast. Everytime I reformat my PC and reinstall XP Pro, it boots up in like 15 seconds. Even my laptop, it performed extremely fast before.

I suggest you backup everything and reformat your hard drive if it's running sluggish. You can remove startup items in MSCONFIG. Try not to have any programs load upon startup. Delete TEMP files, LOG files, BAK files, defrag.

Upgrade the 512MB RAM to 1GB and you'll be fine. 512 will slow you down a bit, 1Gb should be fine and not give you any troubles. Since you don't want to upgrade any components I'd say you're fairly limited but if you want to buy XP lite then I'd say do it. First I'd try setting the theme to windows classic and removing any servies and stuff you don't need if you haven't already. Also a registry clean using CCleaner wouldn't be a bad idea.

troy272 said:
Upgrade the 512MB RAM to 1GB and you'll be fine. 512 will slow you down a bit, 1Gb should be fine and not give you any troubles. Since you don't want to upgrade any components I'd say you're fairly limited but if you want to buy XP lite then I'd say do it. First I'd try setting the theme to windows classic and removing any servies and stuff you don't need if you haven't already. Also a registry clean using CCleaner wouldn't be a bad idea.

I was just about to suggest this...

Back
Top Bottom