Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default My laptop takes too long to startup xp ... should I get XPLite?

I ony have one item in (logitech setpoint) my startup and it still takes about 35 second for xp to fully load. Not too shaby you might say but this is a 12hundred dollar gateway running xp home on Intel Centrino.

I've heard about xplite and i downloaded the trial version...when I tried it, i must have removed a vital file because my resolution were fu*ked up and I had to restore.

So my question is...

1. What program would you suggest for removing useless junk from xp?... XPlite?
2. How can I avoid removing an important file...is there a list or something?

Thanks.

eapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: My laptop takes too long to startup xp ... should I get XPLite?

Don't get XP Lite. What are your system specs for your laptop anyways? Laptops usually run on slower hard drives and crappy RAM. Do an upgrade on both and you'll notice a difference.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
In Runtime

I don't want to upgrade anything, just remove unnecessary xp components. Why don't you like XPlite?

Pentium M 1.6GHz
512MB ram
eapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Golden Master

It leaves out a lot of stuff and you always want the full potential of the operating system. Full Windows XP is actually very fast. Everytime I reformat my PC and reinstall XP Pro, it boots up in like 15 seconds. Even my laptop, it performed extremely fast before.

I suggest you backup everything and reformat your hard drive if it's running sluggish. You can remove startup items in MSCONFIG. Try not to have any programs load upon startup. Delete TEMP files, LOG files, BAK files, defrag.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Upgrade the 512MB RAM to 1GB and you'll be fine. 512 will slow you down a bit, 1Gb should be fine and not give you any troubles. Since you don't want to upgrade any components I'd say you're fairly limited but if you want to buy XP lite then I'd say do it. First I'd try setting the theme to windows classic and removing any servies and stuff you don't need if you haven't already. Also a registry clean using CCleaner wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy272
Upgrade the 512MB RAM to 1GB and you'll be fine. 512 will slow you down a bit, 1Gb should be fine and not give you any troubles. Since you don't want to upgrade any components I'd say you're fairly limited but if you want to buy XP lite then I'd say do it. First I'd try setting the theme to windows classic and removing any servies and stuff you don't need if you haven't already. Also a registry clean using CCleaner wouldn't be a bad idea.
I was just about to suggest this...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby

Give this a whirl too... http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote