my laptop overheats!!!!!

Liam amd.64

In Runtime
what can i do, my laptop overheats and shuts down when i run a lengthy programme, so i decided to take it outside where it is pretty cold and its running fine, i am monitering the temps using speed fan,what can i do, how do i know what is triggering it? what can be causing it to overheat? its only just started to do it over the last month, after having it from new for a year? what could have become the problem, Thanks for any help!!!

Do you still have the warranty package that you purchased with your laptop? I have 3 years on mine bumper to bumper warranty.

Did you overclock your laptop in any way? Does it only happen you run a specific application? Maybe it's one of those processor intensive apps that causes the CPU to temp to increase. What processor are you using? Are you obstructing any vents from the laptop? It's better to tilt the back end with a book of something so it can breath better. That's what I do, but don't obsturct the vent with your book either.

How did you overclock it? Aren't all BIOSes on laptops locked since you cannot get custom laptops?

RiverS said:
was dose overclock mean anyway?

its when you force your hardware to peform at higher settings then it was meant to. Just because your processor comes to you running at 2.6 ghz, doesn't mean you cant make it run at 2.8 ghz or even higher depending on your cooling. It just tends to shorten the lifespan of the part, and often increases heat, which is bad.

Back on topic, check if their is anything blocking (including dust) the air exhaust and intake wholes in the labtop. And what kind of laptob do you have?

unlike most of the other people on here i am NOT an expert. however i do have a laptop which is more like a radiator at times.

only occassionaly did it ever shut down on me, but if i was watching a movie or something, my media player would have trouble decoding the film after about 30 minutes, i would have to shut down the laptop for about 20 minutes, give it time to cool and then switch it back on to continue watching what i was watching. i then found that, if i put something underneath the laptop such as a video case or something on each side of the laptop, i could watch movies for hours with no trouble. so basically, maybe raising the laptop (or giving it some legs) to give it some air might help your cooling issue ??

you don't own a sony vaio do you?

Back
Top Bottom