My Hardrive again

Ok, sorry but my question is this I live two miles away from my school, I know how to set things up for network sharing I want to set my external hardrive up for sharing but my question is this, would I be able to access my networked hardrive from school? what if its connected to a computer at home that is connected to the network at my house? and my harddrive plugs in the wall so it would always be on, I prob wouldnt be able to acces it right

its called remote desktop web connection, you can create a shared folder or something between them by creating a network established connnection, here is a link from microsoft showing how to setup remote desktop web connection, you could bascially be on that computer, so there would be no need to create a shared folder, but it would still be accessable if you can access the computer by putting a path through the server, but i dont know if you would have access to that.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdwebconn.mspx

if you really want to create a shared drive you would have to set your hard drive as sharing enabled, find out the ip of the computer you would put it on, open ports and make sure that you dont have a firewall on, and if you do, you would need to configure it accordingly. make sure you know the exact address/location of the hard drive so you can find it from you school computers/home computer. you need to access your hard drive from the other computer by adding it as a network place/drive from windows, which you can access from control panel.

remote desktop web connection allow you to remote into computer b from computer a, and copy files from computer b's hard drive to computer a's hard drive?

not nescessarally, but thats why i gave the second explanation on sharing a drive in the second paragraph, that was just one solution and can be useful when it comes to sharing.

oh ok i was just wondering b/c i wish that was possible through remote desktop, actually using it right now bc i dont want to go upstairs :)

if you use that link, not only can you see your computer up stairs but you can see it from any internet accessable computer :) you should check it out, although it does require both computers to be xp professional.

Back
Top Bottom