Is my hard drive repaired now?

aaronbaird1

Beta member
Hi,
First post, this looks like a good forum.

So, I received a "bad" hard drive. 200gb 2.5 sata.
My friend said it stopped booting so he bought a new one and gave me this one.

I popped it into my usb SATA dock and ran a verify scan using HDDscan 3.2.
It had errors (read speed dropped to almost zero) at LBA location 25,000,000 and again around 325,000,000 at which point it would make some loud clicking and beeps. The test was steady in between.
Under the S.M.A.R.T attributes there was an error symbol at "reallocation sector count" and a warning sign at "reallocation event count".

Now this is where I get experimental.

So, I figure in between LBA 50,000,000 and 300,000,000 the drive functions properly, with enough distance from the bad sectors.
The LBA for the entire drive is 390721968 and the physical space on the drive is around 186 gigs. I calculated about 2097160 LBA per gigabyte. Therefore the first 50,000,000 LBA occupies roughly 23.8GB, and 300,000,000 LBA ends at 143GB.

I opened my partition manager (which doesn't display LBA by the way ) and deleted all partitions on the drive so that it was completely unallocated. Then created a partition starting at 24GB and ending at 143GB for a total of 119GB and formatted as NTFS.
Windows recognizes the drive and it passes CHKDSK without errors. I have been copying files to it without error as well.

I'm not planning on installing an operating system or anything on it but what do you guys think, did i fix it?

I wouldn't call it fixed so much as you bypassed the errors on the drive. I don't think I'd trust it still. If a drive has any errors on it I'd rather just pay for a new one before trying to keep using it for my data.

I suppose im using the word "fixed" quite loosely. Anywase, I think your right. If part of the drive failed the rest of it cant be too reliable.
i suppose ill use it as a scratch disk for burning and encoding videos

Yeah, use it for stuff that you don't mind if you lose in the instance of a failure. I wouldn't put my only copy of irreplaceable data on it though.

Back
Top Bottom