Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default My Half-Life 2 won't install!

OK, most of you know that I reformatted a few days ago so I had to install everything again. I tried installing my HL2 and it wouldn't install. I put the first disc in (I have cd-rom version BTW) and installed steam, then when it actually started installing HL2, it gave me this message after a few minutes saying that the file "hl2.cab" or maybe it was .bin is corrupted. So my choices are retry, abort, or ignore. Even if I click ignore, the whole thing just stops. So basically it won't install even though I have done it before and I have a hdd that doesn't even have files of it on the computer, so could it be the disc? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: My Half-Life 2 won't install!

Exit the installer and run Steam on it's own. There were changes made to the installer files after the cd were printed that requires an update from Steam. Once Steam has finished downloading it's update you can exit and run the installer again without recieving the error.

If you continue to receive the errors during installation it could be that your cd is damage and needs replacing.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

Wait so this is a common thing that steam said could be solved by an update? If so, then thank god! I haven't played CS or HL2 for a while so I wouldn't know about any of the updates.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Golden Master

I also heard that you need to install CSS too for HL2 to work. Strange how that is. Maybe you could try that if the other suggestion doesn't work.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #5
In Runtime

that could also be frome a scractch up cd....happend to me before I got HL2....Deathmatch is cool
ExGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Try exchanging your game for another copy.

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote