My Friends Internet Problem

hockeyman4413

In Runtime
Hi Guys,
Im at my frineds house, and his internet SUCKS and i dont know why. He's usin a wireless router cuz he's also got a laptop. I cant find the one hes got online, but its a Linksys/Vonage router. In the corner of the start menu, it says "limited or no connectivity" with a speed of 10mbps!!I know its not because of the range of the routre because its less than a foot away from the comp. He's got Comcast (high speed cable) internet. Whe i go to support for the local internet connection, it says "you might not be able to access or some network resources. this problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer." Ive tried to repair the connection, but it always fails. Any suggestions are welcome. i think its the router, but im not sure. PLease help me out guys :)

Your Ip settings are messed up.Find out if your computer is setup for static IP or dynamic. To do this START->CONTROLL PANNEL->Network Connections then right click on the connection and chose propertys. Then scroll down to the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) option and double click on it. A window will pop up If there are numbers on there then you have a static address if it says obtain automatically then you have dynamic ip configured. Find out if your friends router is setup for static or dynamic IP address. If it is static then just make sure your default gateway is pointed towards the router (by default its 192.168.1.1) and you have an ip in the same subnet (must have the same subnet mask usually is 255.255.255.0 for home addresses) If the router is set up to assign dynamic addresses then go to start and chose run then type cmd then type the command -ipconfig /release then it will get rid of your current IP (because you are having problems with it oviously) then type in -ipconfig /renew this step should take a couple of mins because it has to get a new address from the router.

If at any point you get an error screen shot it and post it here and I will continue to help you troubleshoot this little problem

Try turning the router off and then unplugging all the network cables and plugging them back in. Wait at least a min and turn the router back on. You can also try reseting the router. There should be a little pin hole on the back of the router that you can hold down for 10 seconds to return the router to factory defaults. Sorry I don't know much about this type of stuff but that is the most basic things that you can try first.

we've tried reseting the router and we have tried usb connection and an ethernet connection and its always the same. i really dont know what to do, thanks anyways :)

Okay well to find out if the router is set up for dynamic IP type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. If that doesn't work try 192.168.0.1. A login screen should pop up type admin for the user and leave the password blank (unless he put one on) Next go to the WAN settings and it should tell you if the router is set up for dynamic ip, static ip, or other. I don't know much about networking and this is probably the most I can help you.

ok, ty, ill try that a bit later. Would this be better if it were placed in networking? i put it here because i didnt know, but any other help would be appretiated :)

Alright man let me know how it turns out. Now that I think about it, it would of been better if you would of put this under networking. Just make sure you do it next time.

Back
Top Bottom