Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default My First PC Build

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at building my first computer system ever.. I'm looking at a gaming pc but simple price range > probable under $2000 US. I visited consair.com an got a general idea of prices for parts and accessories - the problem is i haven't been able to source a motherboard from their website.

The thing is am accustomed to dell systems and and it's the first time I'm looking at a different manufacturer other than dell. Can someone give me an idea of some other manufacturers website that i can look at and any other tips and pointers i can look at...

Clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: My First PC Build

You won't be able to built a 100% corsair system sense they don't make graphic cards and motherboards.
I would have recommended a website called pcpartpicker, But i can see you are from some island. Don't know if they ship there.

what exactly are you looking for in a motherboard? you know, features and overclocking.
What CPU should it support?
Are you looking for ATX or smaller?

If non of this makes sense plz say so. Then we will take it step by step.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
In Runtime

ASUS is currently my favorite parts supplier/manufacturer, i've never had a problem with any of their stuff. my computer currently has one of their motherboards and gpus. Dell on the other hand has given me nothing but nightmares about their proprietary computer designs that can only be fixed with dell brand parts.
Cortb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerEcho View Post
You won't be able to built a 100% corsair system sense they don't make graphic cards and motherboards.
I would have recommended a website called pcpartpicker, But i can see you are from some island. Don't know if they ship there.

what exactly are you looking for in a motherboard? you know, features and overclocking.
What CPU should it support?
Are you looking for ATX or smaller?

If non of this makes sense plz say so. Then we will take it step by step.
I'm an IT Technician so I'm much familiar with specs an so... problem is in Trinidad most companies usually deal with Dell so I'm much familiar with them and their proprietary systems. I'm looking at an ATX board, i7 core CPU hypertreading etc, DDR4, my own PCI GPU card, and so on......

Also biker, can consair parts work on proprietary mobos? or a specific type of board etc? can any other psu work on other mobos like asus etc.... Again you know I'm a Dell person
Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
can consair parts work on proprietary mobos? or a specific type of board etc? can any other psu work on other mobos like asus etc
Yes, it will work. The problem though is fit.
Dell is some a**holes that likes to limit support on their products so you have to buy from Dell. They once had their own RAM and they were the once making the BTX motherboard standard.

A 3-party PSU will properly not fit in the Dell case. An example of this is the following:
I once wanted to upgrade the PSU on my Dell Demention 5000. There were a metal piece that was sticking out on the inside of the case. So the case only supported PSU's that had a slot this metal piece could fit in. I drilled it off with a small electric saw. then it worked.

some good but cheap motherboards that fits your description would be something like this:
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
In Runtime

Thanks, this was very helpful
Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

No problems. Glad to help