My First DIY Gaming PC

Helboy239

Beta member
Hey! This is going to be my first PC build and I am centering it around gaming. I'm very ignorant of quality parts and which are compatible with which so any and all feedback is appreciated. And if you have any changes you'd like to suggest please do. I plan to be able to upgrade this in the future, and not spend much more than 1000 on it now. Thanks.

Specs: Intel Core i5-3570, Zotac GeForce GTX 660, Rosewill BlackHawk - System Build - PCPartPicker

Case: Rosewell Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 660 ZT-60901-10M
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5” 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive
PSU: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Peripherals and Software:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Mouse: Undecided
Keyboard: Undecided
Monitor Undecided

Other Notes:
-Not planning to overclock
-Could install a SSD for booting but I have not decided on that either, so any suggestions...
-The SSD doesn't need to be huge. I was thinking the Samsung 830 or 840 Series with a capacity of 32GB-128GB

EDIT: As far as the SSD goes, I found this one with a price that is attractive to me.

Last edited:
I found this SSD and I've added it to the list of specs. Any points on the rig are appreciated.

Specs:

Case: Rosewell Blackhawk ATX Mid Tower Case
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 660 ZT-60901-10M
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5” 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
PSU: Raidmax 630W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Peripherals and Software:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Mouse: Undecided
Keyboard: Undecided
Monitor Undecided

I just installed the i5 3570K on a Gigabyte Z77X D3H (more USB 3.0 ports and 3 x PCI-e) with some Kingston HyperX 1600 and couldn't be happier with the performance increase I got from a Q6600/P35-DS3R/ DDR2 800 setup.

I also have the Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB, nice drive, I should have bought more than just one. Samsung SSD's seem to get the best reviews, so I think its a safe bet with any SSD they make, although I would set the minimum size to 64gb if its for your OS.

Price your rig (or as near as you can get to it) at 'Microcenter', I saved 60 bucks alone between the CPU and Mobo due to them being bought together. Also don't be glued to the G.Skill, I was a long time G.Skill fan but the Kingston HyperX has impressed me a lot more.

What CPU cooler are you going to get?

iv never heard of the psu so id change that, Yes definately get the ssd. i wouldnt use the the blue cavier for anything other than storage.

if your not going to overlock dont bother getting the "k" version of the I5, also that is the 3rd gen cpu, the 4th gen is out now and is like $15 more

Back
Top Bottom