My First Build, Gaming Computer

DrShmoogle

Solid State Member
Thanks in advance for helping me out :D

So I'm looking to build a gaming computer for under $1000. (I'd be willing to spend a bit more than that if necessary).
I'd use the computer to do a bit of web surfing, some word-processing, and a lot of 3D-gaming.

I'm rather unfamiliar with some of the differences between certain hardware, such as exactly how much RAM is ideal, and what type of processor to buy, etc.

If you could point me towards any good sites for this, give me advice, or explain those differences to me, that'd be fantastic.

--DrShmoogle

Note: I have found these deals, and they seem to be pretty good, but I'm not sure, so any help would be much appreciated. :D
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Ello, Ello :D

It really all depends on what kind of games you plan on playing, for example, Sc2 doesn't require alot of graphics but on the other had, crisis 2 will be whopping the graphic companies asses. so before we look at what components to use, tell us a bit about what type, kind of games you plan on playing :D.

P.s if you wanted to build a gaming computer with potential, for my personal preference I'd build it from scratch with building components separately, other then them bundles :p

Newegg.com is probably one of my favourite websites around.
This is not going to be the best explaination:

• CPU-The place where every thing is processed in the computer, or The Heart of the computer.
  • MotherBoard(Mobo)-the largest board where everything sits on.
  • Power Supply(PSU)-It gives your computer the power it needs
  • Hard Drive-Your Warehouse(storage)
  • Memory(RAM)-Every thing on the computer(nearly)uses RAM, If you dont have memory, well i never ran out before, but its a good idea to always have some spare RAM
  • Computer Case-It holds every everything
  • CPU cooler-Cools your CPU so it doesnt melt...
  • CD drive-you put your CD's in it
  • GPU(Graphics Card)-It generates what you see on your moniter, many Mobos have on-board graphics, but if you intend to do any gaming, I suggest you buy a Graphics Card
If you build your own Gaming PC, which is HIGHLY recomended, I can give you a build that im currently using, it should give you a place to start when you start picking each part of your PC.
Good Luck!!!
*Note:You can subsitute the Antec 900 for the Antec 300 and save around $50, bringing the Total down to $966.36

Ello, Ello :D

It really all depends on what kind of games you plan on playing, for example, Sc2 doesn't require alot of graphics but on the other had, crisis 2 will be whopping the graphic companies asses. so before we look at what components to use, tell us a bit about what type, kind of games you plan on playing :D.

P.s if you wanted to build a gaming computer with potential, for my personal preference I'd build it from scratch with building components separately, other then them bundles :p

Well, I'd probably mostly play games on Steam such as TF2, L4D2, and HL2.
And thanks for the advice :D

Newegg.com is probably one of my favourite websites around.
This is not going to be the best explaination:

• CPU-The place where every thing is processed in the computer, or The Heart of the computer.
  • MotherBoard(Mobo)-the largest board where everything sits on.
  • Power Supply(PSU)-It gives your computer the power it needs
  • Hard Drive-Your Warehouse(storage)
  • Memory(RAM)-Every thing on the computer(nearly)uses RAM, If you dont have memory, well i never ran out before, but its a good idea to always have some spare RAM
  • Computer Case-It holds every everything
  • CPU cooler-Cools your CPU so it doesnt melt...
  • CD drive-you put your CD's in it
  • GPU(Graphics Card)-It generates what you see on your moniter, many Mobos have on-board graphics, but if you intend to do any gaming, I suggest you buy a Graphics Card
If you build your own Gaming PC, which is HIGHLY recomended, I can give you a build that im currently using, it should give you a place to start when you start picking each part of your PC.
Good Luck!!!
*Note:You can subsitute the Antec 900 for the Antec 300 and save around $50, bringing the Total down to $966.36

Awesome, thanks, that's fantastic :D

Three questions: What does a graphics card do, exactly?
What other RAM would you recommend? (The one you originally recommend was sold out D: )
And would you recommend a warranty on the hard drive?

Oh, one more thing: I know that I need a wireless adapter, but I don't know if certain wireless adapters have advantages over others... any clarification would be great :D

RAM by Corsair, Patriot or G.Skill should be fine. Just find an 8GB DDR3 kit with a speed no less than 1333 (1600 ideally) and you should be fine. The rest of the build looks fine.

iDoNtKn0w and og ^^^Thumbs up!!!^^^

A graphic card is what manages what comes out to your screen, for example, when you look at a graphic card to normally see, 512mb, 1gb, 2gb these amount of memory means how many frames it can hold. (Lets treat it as the kitchen) When you have the stored frames, you then need to send them out to your screen, this is when Clock speed comes in, clock speed is what people would look at for a smooth video, (you can treat clock speed as the the people who gives out the food). The graphic card is how you'd see the things you have on your screen/monitor :p If there is something wrong with your display, it would be most likely the graphic card's problem!

Ram is like the clock speed in your whole computer, its what makes your computer react to what you do on your computer. For example if you were to click on notepad (the programme) on your computer, if you measure how long it would take to open up, you'd see the difference if you had 512mb ram, and for 4gb ram in your computer. The more ram you have the quicker your computer will react to your demands, of course other components make up how fast your computer will run, but in simple terms this is the best way I can explain.

This are what they are, but if you want further information you could ask again or do some research yourself.
P.s if there any one that wants to correct me please feel free to :D

Good luck! XD

Opps forgot to talk about what I know about wireless adaptors, the two things you must know is
A) The range of the device
B) The Mbps (mb per second)
A. This is how far your computer or adaptor can be away from your router
B. This will determine how fast the transmission is, so if you'd have a an amazingly fast internet, you'd need a nice wireless adaptor to match it up. There is also network cards which would use one of your PCI slot on your motherboard, I've heard from a friend internal network cards are superior to anything so check it out!
My friend got this and was really settled with it xD
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/19137847/-/Product.html?opFR=true check it out ? :p

Back
Top Bottom