My First Build

A GTX 260 SLI is pretty much a waste of money. It's always better to have one more powerful card than two weaker ones in SLI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130480

It's cheaper and will give you better results.
I just saw his monitor, and you're right, the GTX 260 SLi would be a waste of money. But I think the 285 is not fast enough to justify the $120 increase in price over the 260 216.
I think he should just go with a single 216.
That is exactly what I was talking about the ram worship suggested was 1066Mhz. Some of the boards won't allow you to run more than 1 stick of RAM at 1066 in each channel. Which Motherboard are you getting If you could post a link to it I will tell you if it has this restriction.
I checked, it's Ok :)

I checked, it's Ok :)

I didn't even see the link to the 750a but now that I go back and look a little harder it was in the middle of one of your posts. I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't getting one with the restriction of one dimm per channel at 1066 cuz that just seems like such a waste to me.

@ OP when you get it all set up you are most likely going to have to "oc" the ram to get it to run at specified speed because most motherboards will only recognize it as 800Mhz instead of the rated speed of 1066Mhz. I know I had to with my board but I'm not sure if they are all like that or if they have release an updated bios that sets it correctly yet.

Overall your system is looking good and I'm more than sure you are going to be pleased with it when all is said and done.

I just saw his monitor, and you're right, the GTX 260 SLi would be a waste of money. But I think the 285 is not fast enough to justify the $120 increase in price over the 260 216.
I think he should just go with a single 216.

He wants something powerful. I was going to recommend a single card, but once you turn all the settings up, in some games that card does dip. He was talking about the 192 core version, which is a lot worse than the Core 216.

He was just going to go with the 192 SP version because he doesn't know WTF he's doing. I linked him to a 216 which is the same price so he should be OK now.

Ah, I must have missed that thread. I would still recommend for him to move up to an i7 build or a Phenom II. I don't know if he agreed to upgrading yet.

Ah, I must have missed that thread. I would still recommend for him to move up to an i7 build or a Phenom II. I don't know if he agreed to upgrading yet.
I think he is. He said he was going with a 750a board so that means PII.

Yes

The sound card can take better advantage of those speakers..

I would only get that card if the money was burning a hole in my pocket..

They are not worth it for 95% of ppl...

If you do get it, make sure you disable your onboard sound in BIOS and take back those minimal resources...

He was just going to go with the 192 SP version because he doesn't know WTF he's doing.

my god, you are so right.

I think he is. He said he was going with a 750a board so that means PII.

yes, you're right, im going with the 750a.

and, umm, which link was the 216?

i just wanna get the order right so i don't stuff it up :eek:

and by the way, i have a little bit more money so i'm upgrading my monitor so i won't have to buy another one for a while.

what do you think of this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

and, umm, which link was the 216?
Here. :D

EDIT: LOL, I just realised that MSI stuck the HD 4870's cooler on their GTX 260. Looks like a red PCB too. :p
Nvidia are probably like: "MSI!, WTF are you doing?!"
and by the way, i have a little bit more money so i'm upgrading my monitor so i won't have to buy another one for a while.

what do you think of this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254026
Looks pretty sweet. The res. is a little low for 28" but it should still look great.

k, awesome. so i'm going with a single one of the 216's, yeh?

wow, i just found out i'm downgrading my monitor cuz i don't actually have that much money. woops :p

haha anyway, i'll list the final order when i get home from school today.

thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom