My CPU Overclocking Semi-works... Please help.

Shantei

In Runtime
Right I've always had trouble trying to overclock my CPU and it's always failed. I've followed the steps in the guide but it doesn't allow it. I set my RAM speed down to 667MHz, increase my BUS up to 200MHz to 240MHz but it doesn't allow it. I tried not setting back my RAM and doing it on my Nvidia Control Panel and my computer instantly reset. However, if I set it properly, set the HT multiplier to 4x and my RAM down then my computer will work and run at the new CPU speed .. only for about 20 minutes or 30 minutes .. why does it do this? My computer seems to hate overclocking although in the manual it says it can greatly overclock.

Any suggestions please?

try not making th jump from 200-240. go up by 10's. raise it to 210 then run prime on all the cores if there is 2 or 4 cores.

specs of pc will help greatly

Try raising voltages, little by little. Keep an eye on temperatures too. Raise CPU, RAM, northbridge, and sometimes the southbridge. Just play with the voltages and don't go crazy with them. A good idea is to search how people are overclocking with your motherboard, RAM, and CPU so you have an idea where you could be at. All PC's will OC differently.

A new approach to the overclocking is putting my multiplier down to 10 from 11 and adjusting a higher Bus Frequency. I've steadily put my frequency from 200MHz to 260MHz and with a multipler of 10 that makes it 2.60GHz. But for this I have to have my memory frequency at 691MHz from 800MHz. Does this matter too much? Is it worth the CPU speed? (presuming it stays like this and my computer doesn't crash)

Also, is 400MHz difference a worthy amount in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Actually .. I've made a few more adjustments.

I've put it from 260MHz to 271MHz giving me 2.70GHz cpu frequency with a memory frequency of 718MHz.

So I'm trading in 82MHz worth of memory speed for 500MHz worth of CPU speed (+ it's health, but that goes without saying) .. so I guess it sounds pretty OK to me :D .. let's hope it lasts out...

Well, just as I feared again.

Turn on my computer this morning. Everything loads up fine. Click my profile, loads up fine. I then leave it for a while, getting changed and ready for the day and it's still fine. Play some music, chat on msn for a bit .. still fine.

So I decide to take it up another level and play Guild Wars! Yes .. 5 minutes into the computer crashes and then restarts.... :|

Very disappointing. I'm not sure what to do at all ... my ONLY possible imaginable suggestion would be to put up the PCI-E BUS speed for the hell of it, see if that does anything.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Not every motherboard is made for OC. You may have an chipset with OCing capabilities, but the BIOS may limit that. BIOS hacks are solution, but...I won't waste an entire machine if it work just fine the way it is.

That's fine, it's just in my m/b manual it epically describes how it can overclock 'greatly' .. quoted. Really disappointed with that.

Back
Top Bottom