My cpu gets hottt. Confused what to do, simple questions.

LGA775 isnt a bad mounting mechanism. Not bad at all. I would say its one of the better ones. Why? 4 holes, thats the key. Nice even pressure across the whole cpu. Using a bolt through method, like on waterblocks or high end air coolers, it mounts very easily and makes good contact. The only reason it won't make good contact is either, warped IHS, warped base, or just user error. Thats why i always like to test mount with cheap thermal paste, then apply the AS5 or Ceramique.

@Dilligaf: Your 3.2 runs cooler than his, becuase you have a Northwood. He has a prescott (or so i assume). Plus, you don't know his ambients either. So you can't say that his temps are high. You also have to take into account that he is using all stock. The crappy thermal "paste" and heatsink that Intel uses. I would invest in a Sunbeam Tuniq Tower, or Thermalright Ultra 120. Those right now are the the top air coolers along with the Scythe Infinity, and Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

hey thanks so much everyone, I was only concerned with my temp because my asusprobe would always alarm at 60° and I recalled seeing the max temp for my processor at 65 or so but according to you guys I guess its not a big deal? Ambient cpu temp is 40. Either way I just ordered some artic silver.

My last question,
Under load is the cpu fan speed at max? So basically would attaching a fan controller to the cpu fan make a difference? (so I can turn it up while under load/games etc)

Intel Pentium 4 541 Prescott 3.2GHz LGA 775 Processor

it depends on what its set on in the bios... Ive never worked with ur mobo but go into ur bios (Hit the DEL or F2, depending on mobo, when you start up)... if you have something like PC health Status it s probably in there...

Sometimes there are auto fan settings in there that if ur proc reaches a certain temp it will raise the speed of the fan. Either set the temp lower so it kicks in earlier or disable it completely and control it through a 3rd party application like speedfan (If it detects it) http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

If you decide to disable the fan stuff in the bios (If your Mobo even has it) then it will run at full speed all the time... if you got a quiet fan then it wont be a problem but if its loud then i would reccomend using speedfan to turn it down when you need to...

Also make sure you apply ur AS5 right you dont need to smear it all over the thing here is a guide: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

hope everything works

ownage said:
@Dilligaf: Your 3.2 runs cooler than his, becuase you have a Northwood. He has a prescott (or so i assume). Plus, you don't know his ambients either. So you can't say that his temps are high. You also have to take into account that he is using all stock. The crappy thermal "paste" and heatsink that Intel uses.
See below

mammikoura said:
My cpu is running really hot too, it's a p4 3.0ghz northwood (I think it's running at 3.3ghz)
and with a decent zalman hsf I'm getting around 70C under 100% load. During the summer it went a little over 70C quite often, but now that it's winter and the room temp is lower I think I can keep it under 70C all the time.
That is why I said his temps are terrible

@ ownage ....... I live in the tropics, unless he lives on the equator he's not going to be much warmer than me, in winter I have trouble hitting 40C let alone 70C

Reading and comprehending the whole post may be in order next time

;)

yes I know my temps are bad, and yes, I don't have a single fan in my case. I just can't get anything done, I was gonna go and buy a fan like 4 months ago, but I still haven't. But thats just me, I can't get anything done.
But still, even though I get temps of about 70C I'm not worried. The temps are low enough, it won't cause any damage.
And running a games is different than running a program that uses 100% of ur cpu all the time.

Back
Top Bottom