Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Is my computer worth fixing?

Two days ago I spilled a LOT of coffee on my laptop. Miraculously it didn't short circuit or anything. My friend took it apart and we cleaned whatever coffee we could find. I'm actually using it to type right now, however, the two USB ports, the keyboard and the CD-ROM drive all don't really work. The keyboard sort of does, but only certain keys and then sometimes they'll stick and keep typing a single letter. (I'm using an external keyboard right now cause it's impossible to type on the laptop keyboard). The computer seems to work fine! hard drive's ok, sound, internet everything's as if it never got spilled on, except for what I mentioned.

My question: Is it worth repairing or should I just get a new one? I've got a toshiba Satellite M45-S265, and it's about 3 years old.
Thanks everyone!

Cassieopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Is my computer worth fixing?

You might want to take it to a local computer shop and have them quote you the price of cleaning/fixing it, although I don't know if it will ever perform 100% properly. If they can't fix it or quote you a ridiculous price, you might want to consider getting a new laptop.

If your budget allows for it, there are great laptops at reasonable prices that you could consider.

Intel Q6600 @ 3204Mhz ~ Tuniq Tower 120 ~Corsair XMS2 5GB ~ WD VelociRaptor 150GB Main ~ WD 1TB Black ~ EVGA 8800GTS 640MB ~ 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
GhostGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
In Runtime
Send a message via AIM to cwharms

While it would be time consuming, you could completely take it apart and clean it with distilled water.
E8400@3906*MSI Neo-2FR*4gb Corsair *2x500gb sammies*eVGA 9600GT SC*Corsair HX520
Q6600@3204*Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R*4gb A-DATA*2600XT*WD 320gb*500 EarthWatts(Folding for the [H]orde)
cwharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #4

no simply get new parts

its cheaper, because your keybored will not go over 30pound and your usb port well, they will put a new one on for about 40pound, so thats 70poound

its upto you
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote