My Computer Problem!
Hello, I'm new to these forums! I'm really looking forward to a friendly community!
Now that formalities are out of the way, my problem.
I am currently running a Gigabyte GA-VA7X1394 motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 256 MB of DDR RAM, under Windows 98: Second Edition. I know it's old, but it serves me well. Anyway, I recently bought a new CPU Fan and Heatsink for my computer after my old Fan died on me. I had some trouble with removing the old Fan (there's no spot for the flathead screwdriver to pull it off, had to wrestle with it), but put in the new CPU Fan with ease. Now comes my problem...
After I plugged in the power supply, it made a spark. I blew it off, but when I turned on the computer, it began running, then shut off about 4 seconds after I turned it on. I keep turning it on, same results. It seems to be that when it's about to finish POST, it stops. I don't know what to do!
I've tried a new power supply. No luck. Different processor? No. My last thought was the motherboard, but I used a magnetic screwdriver on the motherboard while I was removing the old CPU Fan, and it may magnetize it to where the power supply may get confused with voltage output(?). About an hour ago (12:30 AM PST), I put it on some cardboard, hoping that the magnetism may decipate, but right now, I'm running out of solutions. My next step, if this doesn't work, is to attain a new motherboard, but waiting for U.S. Marine Corps Basic Training on November 1st, money is a little tight as I'm about to quit my job and prepare for it.
What could be the problem? If it involves spending a little money, exactly how much? Thanks in advance!