My computer keeps turning the USB off

DarkDragon7099

Baseband Member
My computer is really old but it should work :p
Pentium III 500Mhz, 256MB RAM, 8GB HD & GeForce 4 MX440 SE 64MB
I don't know why but it randomly turns off the USB function on the motherboard and my mouse and internet connection stop working (because of wireless card that is usb), the only way tog et them back is by restarting, can anyone help me?

Hmm... I wonder what could be causing that?

I guess you could try re-installing the USB drivers for your motherboard, as it might be them causing the problem. Control Panel, System, Device Manager, going down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and try to update them.

You might have got a CD with the mothboard which you could try installing again for USB functionality.

I guess also it could be to do with a device, so one way of checking this would be to remove them all one by one, to see if it carries on working, and if so, replace that component.

Hope this helps

This is too spooky...

I have a p3 600mhz with 383/pc133 and a mx400.
Hears the twilight zone music playing in the back ground.
If you pull too much current(power) from the usb ports, it will pinch them off. The only way to get them to come back on is to reboot.
If memory serves the usb power for a p3 is 50 milliamps, which sadly is just not enough. My suggestion is to get a PCI usb card or a powered hub. Some devices don't like hubs so a card will most likely be the route to go. Shop carefully as some cards I have come accross are real stinkers. And don't bother to get 2.0. A 1.0 or 1.1 card will work just fine. Belkin and StarTech are brands I trust.

2.0 is faster though for copying devices, like for instance usb drives and components like that.
But if you just have components that just have to have power and doesn't matter about transfer speed (the wireless card wouldn't matter i'd assume because this is just getting power from usb)
then Setishock is right in saying 1.0 or 1.1.

I'll try to install the USB drivers from the motherboard, if that doesn't work I'll not waste money to buy something new for this computer as I'm buying a new one much better and with wireless already incorporated in 2 or 3 weeks, thanks for everyone's help :)

Are you selling???

If you're interested in giving that older system a new home post the specs on it and let me take a look.

Back
Top Bottom