My computer keeps restarting on its own

malakyte79

Beta member
I just built a brand new system and transferred over a hard drive with my windows installation on it an optical drive. My Motherboard is a Giga-Byte H55M-UD2H which only has a spot for an optical drive on the board and or a hard drive, when I connect them both the computer starts up very quickly shows my hard drive in the startup as IDE Channel Slave 4 and after that screen shows an error message that states: Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. Now I've checked to see if my hard drive would show up in the bios and it doesn't, I need help this has taken my a week on and off and I can't figure out what the hell is going on. Maybe I need to get a Sata drive and leave the remaining spot for the optical drive, if anyone can help me out that would greatly appreciated?

It's very rare that you can simply use the hard drive, with the OS, from a different machine and expect it to boot in another because an OS install is specific to the hardware as well. So when it 'sees' different hardware you get the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message. You need to repair the OS install on the hard drive using the OS disk. A repair will keep all your files and settings and replace the OS files according to the new hardware.

Thank you very much Remeniz, that helps alot. I also realized that my hard drive was set to slave and not master, hence why it wasn't showing up in my bios. I fixed that and I'm also going to reinstall windows, fresh system fresh start.

Sweet.

You cant beat a fresh install but the repair option is great for those that want to keep their files.

Let us know how you get on.

Actually, the Disk Boot failure is when the system doesn't find a bootable media, like a CD or Hard drive.

Older Phoenix systems would mention "Missing Operating system".

However, the hard drive not jumped to the right position (Master), will cause the drive not to be found, as a conflict is occuring ;)

Now, tell us what OS you're installing :p I'm curious :D

Everything has finished without any problems just installing my motherboard disc with all the utilities, thanks again..

Back
Top Bottom