Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default My computer just...died?

I really don't know what happened. I was on my computer playing a game online when suddenly I get a "program error" and it locks up. I was able to exit out and get back to my desktop, but from that point on everything was really slooow. This being the case I turn the computer off, but when I try to turn it back on...nothing. It powers up (the fans whir, the LED lights come on) but the screens remains blank and NOTHING starts. There's a long consistent beep I've never heard before when I try to turn it on as well...What's going on here? Some things I should probably mention:

A. I've downloaded a ton of movies from torrent sites over the last few days, could this be a virus perhaps?

B. Having been downloading alot of movies lately, I've left it on alot more than usual over the last week or so. Fried it? Overheated?

C. Before I got the error and went into super slow mode, IE had been crashing on me all day. Which almost NEVER happened before.

What worries me the most is my hard drive. Worst comes to worst I don't mind getting a new comp. as long as I can move my old drive to it to get all my files off. If not though...oh no...Anyone here have any ideas?

MB_Arkestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to kyleman999 Send a message via MSN to kyleman999
Default Re: My computer just...died?

Sounds like a case of cheap ram ive had problems like that like 20 times.

And no your computer wont over heat, and if it did it would of turned itself off before any damage could have happend to it and it wont turn back on untill its at a safe running temperature.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton (running @ 2.21)--Asus A7N8X --1gb (2x512) DDR PC3200 --200gb WD 8mb cache 7200 RPM--40gb WD 2mb cache 5200 RPM --XFX GeForce 6600GT AGP 8x @ 588\1.14 --Creative Audigy2 7.1 ZS--CoolMax 400 wat PSU-- --Volcano 12+ CPU Fan--Overclocking Kit--Logitech Z-5300e's
kyleman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to BigLu
Default Re: My computer just...died?

If you're overclocking, turn everything back to stock and try to boot up, that beeping is the mobo saying something is wrong.
HD 4870
BigLu is offline   Reply With Quote