Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default is my computer dead ?

hello, long time lurker, first time poster

i have a strange problem. the other day, everything was working fine then all of a sudden, my computer rebooted and then displayed ``hardware monitor error``. looking on the web, it was suggested that i cleaned my CPU fan. which i did......with a Q-tip (yes i know i'm an idiot hehe, i was supposed to use compressed air)

when i turned it back on, there was a loud siren sound! like an ambulance/police in europe. looking on the web again, it was suggested that my CPU or motherboard is dead. in any case, one day after, i turned it back on and the siren sound was gone and i could hear everything loading fine (it would seem), but there was no signal at all on the monitor. (i know my monitor is fine since i tested it with my old pentium 3). i also know my graphic card is fine since i tested it with my old pentium.

also to note, there was no ``beep`` sound that is usually heard when i boot the computer and if i remove the keyboard, there is also no ``beep``.

so is my computer really dead ?

it's an old computer (ca 2003): asus P4PE 2.4 GHz, video card is one the last AGP that NVidia made, 1Gig RAM.....

rvnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to jikifreak
Default Re: is my computer dead ?

Hmmm it could be dead...but have you done the memory test to make sure? take all sticks out except one and test that. If nothing posts, then maybe the MOBO is dead?

Rosewill Conqueror|ASRock A780GXE AM2+|Phenom II X4 940@3.0Ghz Stock|Zalman 9900|8GB G.Skill DDR2 800|OCZ StealthXStream 700W|XFX Ati Raedeon 5770 1gb GDDR5 DX11|16X Samsung DVD-RW|360GB(SATA), 40GB(SATA), 160GB(SATA), 200GB(IDE) 500GB External(USB 2.0)|Windows 7 64Bit|19inch LCD Widescreen at 1400X900 Resolution via DVI|
jikifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Beta Member

thanks! i'll try that.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
In Runtime

If your mobo was dead, then nothing would turn on since every part of you computer is connected to the mobo. Actually, i got that message too, my monitor would be connected but no detection detected. What i did was actually took out my video card, clean my whole pc (it was actually kind of dirty), cleaned all the connection ports (sometimes dust can mess up the ports) and put the video card in a different slot. That worked for me. If that does not work, then perhaps there is something wrong with the video card. Try deleting the driver for the card and reinstalling it.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler1470 View Post
If your mobo was dead, then nothing would turn on since every part of you computer is connected to the mobo. Actually, i got that message too, my monitor would be connected but no detection detected. What i did was actually took out my video card, clean my whole pc (it was actually kind of dirty), cleaned all the connection ports (sometimes dust can mess up the ports) and put the video card in a different slot. That worked for me. If that does not work, then perhaps there is something wrong with the video card. Try deleting the driver for the card and reinstalling it.
Fans and everythign can still spin and turn on if the mobo is dead. His AGP card will not fit in another slot unless he has a very very expensive computer (at the time it was bought). Also if you look at his post, he said he tested the video card in another computer, and it's not booting to the point where a driver would be the problem.

I agree with jikifreak. It's most likely memory. Try every stick in every slot. Who knows, there is a chance taht just one port is bad, or that the sticks just needed to be re-seated (which is common).

If new memory doesn't do it, I would try a new PSU if you have one laying around, otherwise I'd be willing to bet it's your mobo.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Beta Member

i have tried all the RAM slots and still nothing. i guess it's a goner. l'll buy a new computer, it's time anyways. i'm just glad that my hard drive is still functionning, i can still salvage the old files (even though it's an old IDE connection)

it was kinda expensive at the time. 2500 $ i think, at the time it was the best AGP graphics card around (Radeon at the time, changed to NVidia a couple later) and also it was more or less the start of DVD-RW (writing at 2X and 3-5$ per blank DVDs lol!!!) ah the old times........
Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

If it is a loud siren going off, your computer overheated.

The CPU or Motherboard basically fried itself.

I have gotten that siren before, my processor overheated, but it worked afterwards.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro

If you don't hear that beep you normally hear when you turn it on, chances are your mobo fried