is my comp broken?

FoSheezy

Solid State Member
so after some MW2 playing yesterday, I shut down my comp and walked away. Today I went to go turn it on and i get no video, my monitor is saying to check my input. it sounds as if the computer is running but when i boot up i dont here windows logging on or making any type of chime. so after checking all my connections, I'm not sure what happened.
msi amd 770 k9a2 neo-f(dead?)
msi 2600pro(burnt out?)
older ide HDD(it's junk anyway but spins)
i dont remember what I have in there for ram but its not cheap stuff
Ultra 450W PS

so I'm kinda stuck and can't figure this out

unfortunately no. my brother has one but won't be home for some time, but could it really burn out while it was off(during cool down)? I shut it off myself, it's not like it blanked out on me. but let's say my card works in another comp or a working one doesnt work in mine. what does it sound like the problem is?

The first thing i would try is the onboard graphics. If you get a signal then the graphics card may be to blame. Could be a problem with the slot on the mobo, but the only way to diagnose that is to put a different card in. Have you opened the case to see if the fan is running on the graphics card?

thanks for the attempt but there are some problems with your suggestion. my mobo doesnt have onboard graphics(would have tried but lack of a port makes it difficult) and my card doesnt have a fan, it has the aluminum fins
here is my mobo
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1431&maincat_no=1
and card
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&prod_no=1265
so there isn't a way to check it.
could i use a voltmeter? if so where on the slot would i check?

when it turns on, monitor displays message, no signal check input cable. i only have the option of switching input between hdmi or vga but no other monitor properties.

Do you hear any beeping sound? If so it could be some problems with the mobo or ram. By counting the beeping sound you would know what could be the issue of your computer.

You would have to know the pinout of the pci-x16 slot, but it is way more complicated than using a voltmeter. The only way to know would be to try a different graphics card. One that is known for certain to be good. Have you tried clearing the cmos? I had some video issues with my previous mobo and clearing the cmos fixed it till the whole board finally failed.

I had a similar problem with my old mans pc, the computer would turn on but suddenly lost all visual. everyone is suspecting its the graphics card with good reason. replacing the graphics card solved the problem. before you shell out the dosh tho do try reseating it.

Back
Top Bottom