My CD/DVD Drive doesn't work?

Computer_user91

Beta member
Alright, this is starting to really irritate me. My computer's (Window's XP) CD drive just doesn't plain work, though it did a few months ago. Basically, whenever I insert a disk of any kind, the green light just flashes (meaning it's trying to read the disc, and then it just stops with nothing happening on the screen).

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CD Drive, so it has nothing to do with updates.

The CD Rom logo is still on "My Computer", so it means the drive is still up and running.

Does anyone here know what in the name of god is wrong with my drive? School starts in less than a month and I still need to get my printer installed (which requires a CD) :mad:

Most likely the drive has failed. They do fail, however usually its uncommon. Be sure to check the jumper settings on the back of the drive. If you have a single disc drive, set the jumper to "CS" and use the last connector on the IDE Ribon cable. If that still doesnt allow the drive to function, try to get ahold of another IDE cable and try that. AND IF after those to things fail to fix the problem, the conclusion is either a bad IDE controller on the motherboard OR the drive itself has a firmware or hardware issue deeming it a failed drive.

SO if all that goes down the crapper. Just go to the manufacturer's website of the printer and get the drivers that way. I recommend that anyway because usually they update drivers, and if you're here you obviously have internet. If you could give me the make and model of the printer i can get the drivers for you.

Back
Top Bottom