Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
Fully Optimized

Default Re: My Brah's Computer Problem

To test if the motherboard POSTs, I remove the RAM (Memory), so it should POST without it.

But, yep, I do agree with the guy above, as those two items are actually two of the most easily damaged. Often the motherboard does not give a POST error even when the RAM is faulty :\

joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
In Runtime

He only has one DIMM that is Corsair XMS and has shown (that I know of) no signs of damage; it was bought brand new.

I'm aware that some (or all? I've never seen one post without RAM) computers refuse to post without RAM, but the point of this mention, was to ascertain any beep codes, but since he told me that he received no beeps, even without the RAM, it's not a great sign.

BTW, Joe: no need to bracket "Memory" lol; it's redundant, like saying HDD drive. Besides, there's only one kind of memory, broadly speaking.

Once again, cheers for your posts! [: He's visiting his sister, ATM, and she has his old PC, and so he's probably going to get some bits and pieces to try on the problem rig.

I am worried that it could be an ESD situation, or perhaps some sort of electrical damage involving either the 4-pin cable or his case. He mentioned something else to me, yesterday evening: he said that when he checked to see if his GPU was seated firmly (by pushing down a bit) the motherboard or something (not quite sure what exactly) touched the case, and he says the power cut out. I told him to maybe try setting the rig up externally, which he tried, again to no avail. :|

Der-PC-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

I highlighted Memory in case a newbie visits the forum and assumes memory is the HDD :3

However, I'll take your comment into account.
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-PC-Mann View Post
I am worried that it could be an ESD situation, or perhaps some sort of electrical damage involving either the 4-pin cable or his case. He mentioned something else to me, yesterday evening: he said that when he checked to see if his GPU was seated firmly (by pushing down a bit) the motherboard or something (not quite sure what exactly) touched the case, and he says the power cut out. I told him to maybe try setting the rig up externally, which he tried, again to no avail. :|
He did that while the rig was running?

There's a standoff near the PCIe-16 slot that mounts the board to the case. He had to push that card in with a substantial amount of force to get the board to flex enough to touch the case.

If that's the case, I think the board is toast.

OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote