Music Recording

Infin1ty1

In Runtime
Hey guys whats up just got a quick question. I just wanted to know what a good set up would be for a computer i want to use for music recording, obviously the only thing i want to have to spend big on is the sound card so if you guys could recommend a good hardware set up it would be nice.

Thanks!

You need a whole set up case and all? And about how much do you want to spend on it, without the sound card?

What program are you going to be using to record?

Kind of off topic but if you're going for windows use Adobe Audition.

For editing sounds, I heard Acid pro is great! GIve it a look, when you get some time.

Bascially the case, PS, and memory is the only thing im not going to need. As for the program im not exactly sure what the name of the program is called but its a free editing/recording program that i read about in PC Magazine and they say it is supposed to run amazingly.

OK...
Just a few more questions,
firstly what's your budget, budget always matters, I mean if you have £300 for the whole thing and want a £150 soundcard then it's going to be a little tricky...

if cost isn't important at all then it's a bit easier...

anyway here are my recomendations.

Get as faster processor as you can,
when choosing a hard drive choose data transfer rqte and disc spin rate over complete disk size, it's no good having a large disk if you can't write to it fast enough to record for a long enough time!

Get lots of ram, don't have enough ram then you're going to start having to cache things to te hard drive and that may, (in the very worst case) mean that there are skips and gaps in the final audio file.

case, just get the cheapest you can, having played in many bands and used PC's to record music on multiple occasions, a music PC usually means it'll be recording demos in garages, if it has a dedicated midi it'll be a keyboardists effects processor, there's no sense in getting a vapour chill case if after a year on the road it's got more bangs that guy fawkes night.

Power supply, ideally, (considering you want a fast spinning hard drive, (which take more power), and you want loads of ram, (I assume a cd/dvd recorded to get out your final product, try and get something definitly rated above 350W hopefully 500W or above.

graphics card won't matter cause that'sa not the primary purpose.

Back
Top Bottom