Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Music organization

OKay, well this is my music folder.

http://img68750.pictiger.com/images/16712393/

Inside, I have a few different folders. I have one of my original collection off a previous computer. I have two folders for new music, and I have one folder full off full album folders.

So, should I take all my music and put it in one folder so there are no more folders. Just one big select all when adding to my library or something like that. I only ask this because when opening my original collection with about a 1000 files, its slow to load and scroll thru and stuff. Probably the computer, but still point being I dont want to bog it down.

What would you do with so much music? I just want it easiest so when I add music to iTunes its not complicated and I need to go everywhich place.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Music organization

I have one big folder. Inside, I have folders they seperate by artist.

Toshiba A135 -Vista Pentium Dual Core 1.6 ghz. 1.5gb ram
www.localtechnet.net - Support me, click the ads!!
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Yeah I have a monster of a music collection. I have all of them in one folder, then the sub folders of seperated by artists, then by albums. By no means is it completely organized, but that's what Winamp is for. After it loads into that I just make play lists out of the main media section.

I don't really like the way it's all set up, so if anyone has an ingenuous method out there please share.

Oh and don't music programs usually have the ability to scan your computer for files, or at least look in certain places? I'm almost certain itunes can do that.
Shadowmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
I have one big folder. Inside, I have folders they seperate by artist.
That would be the easiest.

If the music is already linked into the itunes library this can be quite easy to do (assuming you have enough hard drive space).

I think it's in the advanced menu of iTunes, you click on consolidate library. It will copy ALL music that is not in the "itunes music" folder and put a copy of the music in an organized place within it.

To make that easier to read I'll use an example Let's say you have a copy of breath by breaking benjamin on the root of your my music folder and then you consolidate. It would end up in C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\My Music\Itunes\Itunes music\Breaking Benjamin\breath.mp3

Once the consolidation is done, you can delete the copies of the music that is not in the Itunes folder.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX View Post
OKay, well this is my music folder.

http://img68750.pictiger.com/images/16712393/

Inside, I have a few different folders. I have one of my original collection off a previous computer. I have two folders for new music, and I have one folder full off full album folders.

So, should I take all my music and put it in one folder so there are no more folders. Just one big select all when adding to my library or something like that. I only ask this because when opening my original collection with about a 1000 files, its slow to load and scroll thru and stuff. Probably the computer, but still point being I dont want to bog it down.

What would you do with so much music? I just want it easiest so when I add music to iTunes its not complicated and I need to go everywhich place.
Your music folder goes slow because you have them all in the default directory. I found this out a long time ago. Make a Music folder in a directory all its own (C:\Music) for example. What I did for my music collection was make 40GB partitions on my 2nd hdd (see pics). This makes it simple and efficient as I have over 17000 music files. So my music directories look like this: (H:\Artist\Albums)

cavemangrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

I have them like that too. I have one main folder called Music, then I have a folder for every album I have. Even multiple albums by the same artist have their own folders, like this, Artist - Album. I suppose I could eliminate some by combining the albums from the same artist into one folder but since I have 462 folders with 7341 files, that is a bigger job than I want to undertake right now.....lol

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
xxcobraxx

Im Mixing right now but this is mine, got about 50gb of music on my laptop, on my harddrive got about 27gb