Multiple svchost.exe?

Evil_Emporer

Beta member
I've been having some serious computer problems lately and I assume it's due to either spyware, a worm, or both. I checked my processes and I have multiple svchost.exe executables running. I need to now what exactly this means and how to get rid of them permenantly. I've reinstalled windows a couple of times and this shit keeps on coming back to haunt me.

"Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time.

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

I have 5 of them running in my processes.

Could indicate a virus.

I remember reading somewhere that multiple svchost.exe can be a virus or spyware. Do you think that it could be an indicator to spyware or worm infestaion if i have several of them running when I just reinstalled windows?

Is your PC running fine after the reinstall? If there aren't any problems, the svchost.exe isn't the culprit. It's normal to have a lot of these running even after a fresh install. I still remember my last fresh install of XP and sure enough, the svchost is in there.

There are variants to the svchost virus.

Virus with same name:
Symantec Security Response - W32.Welchia.Worm
Symantec Security Response - W32.Assarm@mm
McAfee - W32/Jeefo

Well...

Well it'll run fine the first couple of times but then it will slowly degrade back to it's terrible state of windows crashing everytime i try to play a game and then eventually the comp will restart every time windows tries to open. If it's not svchost then it might be one or more of the other 21 processes that start with my computer which takes up about 100 mb of virtual memory.

What Windows are you using? What is the hard drive space? How much RAM you running? What's the name of the game that crashes all the time? How old is the PC? It happens everytime you play a particular game?

Back
Top Bottom