MP3 files...

FuRgy

BSOD
Hi,
I download MP3 files from the internet and play them on Winamp. I have th latest version of winamp. After downloading one I wanted to rename it. So I right-clicked on the file, and went to rename.

After I chose the new name i pressed enter and the following message comes up- "If you change a filename extension, the file may become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it."

If you choose no the file will just be returned to the name it was orginally. But if you choose no then the icon of the file changes from the winamp one to some other one. When you click on this new icon the Open With... box comes up.

You can then choose Winamp from that list and press Ok and it will open in winamp. The problem is that the "Always use this program to open these type of files" is not highlighted. In other words you can't select it.

I am running windows XP. I have been downloading, renaming and playing MP3's for about a year but i have never had this problem before. This problem is not just with one of the files i downloaded but ALL of them (about 50).

Thanks to anyone who replies/reads.

Just right click on the icon and rename it making sure you dont change the .wma or .ogg or .mp3 extenstion at the end .

Hi,
Thanks! It worked.
But just out of curiousity before i could rename the file without putting the .mp3 extension at the end with no problems. Why now do I have to make sure .mp3 is there? This question isn''t serios im just curious.
Thanks again for your help Geforceboy!

I believe I have the answer!

Theres an option in folder options to "Hide Known File Extensions" if this is unticked, file extensions will be shown such as - .mp3 .wav .exe etc. I believe someone has unticked the box!

Strange but i had a dream about this last night.
Every file on your computer ends with .***
You can call the rest what you want.Your warning was it's a no no to change whats follows the .
And dot is dat.
But it does has it's limits.Don't rename a system file like kernel32.
;)

Back
Top Bottom