Mouse moves on it's own... very weird! Unruley mice!!!!

TcRobert

Beta member
I have some computers on a small network, and for the darnest reason, the mice on 3 or 4 computers will take off moving (and right clicking!) all by itself! They will typically move in a back and fourth motion like somebody is waving the mouse back and fourth and then right (and possibly left) clicking randomly on things.

Factors to consider:

- I have scanned all the systems with Panda AntiVirus and cleaned up any viruses. I have also scanned two of the most annoying systems (the most unruley mice) with Trend Micro's House Call (antivirus over the internet) and it found a couple issues on one of the systems and none on the other.

- Yes, I ran Spybot too with all the latest updates!

- I have updated Windows 2000 with all the latest security patches and such.

- I took one of the systems, and when it was acting up, I unplugge the network cable (incase it was a hacker trying to gain access to that system) and it seemed to stop the nonsense, but only for a moment... then it went like crazy all by itself, while the system was unplugged from the network!! I think that writes off the possibility of a hacker trying to gain access to the desktop.

So if it's (a) not a virus/spyware issue, (b) it's not a network hacker... what else could it be? If it were a mouse or hardware issue, why did it start working on 3 or 4 systems around the same time? I've had mice take off sliding across the screen and just sit there... or get the shakes... but I've NEVER seen anything like this... it's as if somebody is flipping the mouse back and fourth on the mousepad and randomly clicking and keep going back and fourth.

This is the weirdest thing I've ever encountered!!! :eek:

Does anybody here have even a clue as to what might be causing this?

Any input, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! :D

Thank you!!!
Robert

have you tried replacing the mice w/ other mice?

Welcome to the CF btw.

If it's wireless, then that's the problem. Lots of interference doesn't help.

i had the same problem on my old laptop that i got given from school its windows xp pro and it just goes crazy right clickng and usuassly left clicking after so id have extra windows open like stary menu properties and stuff.

but when i reinstalled xp pro it sorted it ?

i know u dont want to do that as ur on 2000 but im just saying it must have been a driver clash or somehting

Maybe your computer is really slow or memory is not enough. Cause when I was using my old old computer, sometimes the mouse cursor stopped moving, so I wave it around. After about 3 seconds, the mouse cursor moves. At the time it moves, I cant control it. lol. Really annoying with slow old computers. It especially happens a lot when I surf the net. So upgrade your PC or close useless programs.

my mouse at work does the same thing but it is a 10 dollar optical from wall greens so i think that is the problem

well my pc's at work are slow as well. windows 2000 os and like 512 ram with programs that run 24hrs a day 365 days a week. so it could be your pc to

I'd say it is the mice. I've had 2 mice that jumped around the screen and moved to the left of the screen sometimes. I fixed the problem by buying more expensive mice.

I had the same problem with my old computer. it was wireless and even though there was only about 20cm distance between receiver and mouseit still did this. its really annoying when gaming. i couldnt find anyway to fix itother than replacing the mouse.

Back
Top Bottom