Motherboard swap

Vacuumfan7072

In Runtime
If I swap a motherboard from a rig, but use the exact same CPU, HDD, and GPU, shoulld my computer still work? Or dœs Windows do an exclusive installation for the motherboard and chipsets?
I am planning on building a computer for my sister, and I fired the other one's RAM because it wasn't inserted all the way. (DERP! HRHRR!):trash:
░▒▓█Specs█▓▒░
CPU: Pentium 4 3.06 Gigahertz (Socket 478B)
RAM: Kingston/Samsung 1x2 Gigabytes*
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar 40 Gigabytes*
Second hard drive: Quantum Fireball 20 Gigabytes
Optical drives: (I don't know what they are yet) DVD-ROM (may be switched with a LightScribe DVD-RW; CD-RW*
CPU fan: OEM Intel*
Case: HP 763N*
Motherboard: HP 763N**
*Added parts.
**Different motherboard.
If I can, I'll also try switching the BIOS ROM.
░▒▓█▓▒░
My reaction if it works: ^â–¼^
My reaction if it dœsn't work: .▲.
²°¹³ (^▼^)b
I am feeling: \(ọ▄ọ)/

No it wont work, because your Windows installation is set to Motherboard,BIOS etc at the time of installation (in a word ... New Motherboard = New Computer)

Yes as wildcat said it won't work as its a whole different system and you may need to make changes to case..

Your motherboard swap will work!
As long as the motherboard supports CPU, HDD, and GPU you will have no problems.
you will need to install the motherboard drivers and the most important part to do is before pulling the hard drive out make sure you change the hard drive controller driver to generic setting, this way the new motherboard will not be rejected by the Hard Drives OS, in other words you will not have to reformat & reload OS & software.

good luck.

Do your swap & boot, then you will see the PC installing the generic drivers, once finished & up running just slip the new motherboard driver disc in and install all relevant drivers if needed.

How do I install the motherboard? Do I boot OS and install, or can I install without loading the OS?

There are a few ways of going about it.

First you could back up your data and reinstall Windows.

Secondly, you could just uninstall the drivers associated with the old board.

If the current machine does not boot, you could install the new board and uninstall the drivers in Safe Mode.

Here is a tip:
I am using a motherboard from a used computer, so I wouldn't have a CD.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Also: Sometimes, it will work, however, it will not recognize the USB controller, so the mouse and keyboard will not work. This was noted whenever I added a hard drive to the computer and tried to boot from it.

Back
Top Bottom