Motherboard Replacement

I went to that link you had above. The person who originally posted the fix, came back later to say that it happened again and the cause is actually the card overheating. I guess this happens when capacitors burn out. So basically, fried card is the way I'm seeing it.

Here is the 2nd post from that guy:

"About 4 months after I applied my fix above (around May 2006), the problem started occurring again. My fix didn't work this time, and since nothing changed on my PC I was immediately thinking hardware problem.

Opened the case, took out the card, and what do I find? A SIZZLING hot video card. Actually hot enough to burn a hand if I held onto it. This is consistent with capacitors burning out, and other people have reported this problem as well.

So my fix above, at least in my experience, worked but only prolonged a bad video card from dying. I replaced the video card after I found that it was overheating (a nice way of saying 1 degree away from bursting into flames!) and my new card was an immediate improvement."

Yeah I'm thinking I like that 2nd case you just suggested. About HALF the price of the other one!

Let me know what you find on monitors.

I love the CM690. Check it out in the cases gallery here. They can be quite the nice looking case in terms of cable management with just a few minor mods. The 8pin power for the CPU is just a tad annoying unless you had an unusually long one so you can run it behind the tray.

Recommend a warranty that you can get with it or is that a waste as I hear it usually is?

I'm at $1,211.90 with shipping and there is like $50 in mail-in rebates. I don't think thats too bad.

Please tell me I don't have to cut all those holes you put in yours, as I just found your mod in the gallery.

Normally, if the part doesn't fail within 30 days, it's a safe bet to keep. Though I think Asus has a 1 year warranty stock.

Okay, I think I will take my chances without it then. I'm heading out. I will be back after the fam leaves after Christmas to check if you have any other recommendations that I should get. Thanks again G! Merry Christmas!

Hey G, I'm thinking about making my purchase this weekend. I figure I'm off from work until after the new year and this upcoming week might be the best time to be able and make this attempt to get this thing together. Did you come up with any other changes we should make or go with the last system post you had? Also, I noticed a TON of mods to your case. Would I have to make those mods as well or would it be better to get a different case so I don't have to make all those crazy mods? Let me know!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom