Motherboard Question!

OneEyedEd

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, quick motherboard and CPU question!

I'm helping my friend build a new gaming rig and had a couple questions regarding a few of the parts he bought. He is currently strapped for cash and is pretty much at his budget limit so he plans to transfer his GTX 460 from his old rig until he can buy a new card. The mobo he bought off of newegg is a MSI B75A-G43. I wasn't overly thrilled with his purchase and I also couldn't find any definitive answers to my questions online. So we were hoping you guys could clear the air for us!

1) Will the board support a single Nvidia card? Everything I've seen about this board points to it only supporting AMD crossfire, so I'm assuming it dosn't support SLI. That being said will it support his one GTX 460 and a future Nvidia single card upgrade?

2) Does this board support overclocking of the CPU etc...? I've looked on a bunch of forums and most people are saying that it dosn't or not very well. The box however says it has "1 sec overclocking OC genie 2".

3) He bought a Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge. I was thinking he should have gone with a i5 k or i7 k to allow for the overclocking ability. Would it be worth returning for that or would the difference be negligible? I was thinking it might have been smarter to have gone with the i5 k and spend that extra money on a better motherboard, since he's pretty much at his limit already. Thoughts?

Any other thoughts, opinions or concerns about this motherboard or about the rig in general are more than welcome! If the motherboard turns out to be a bad option he can easily return it and get something else... So suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

His specs will be:

MSI B75A-G43
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
Nvidia GTX 460
Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
250g Blue western digital HDD
a FSP 1000w PSU
Corsair 400R case
LG optical drive

if its the 3770 and not the 3770k it is locked an cannot be over clocked at all and i just found this review and its says it also supports sli so that card will be fine.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

and unless doing quite heavy video editing and 3d modeling the I7 was a waste of his cash. the I5 3570k would be best for gaming

fine replay from ja6on.

if he is on a budget, he shouldn't go for a I7 as ja6on and BK stated.
no doubt the I7 is the better CPU, but it's not the better value.
Especially not for gaming, because games really doesn't care about hyper-threading.
if i were him i'll turn in the I7 3770 and get a I5-3570K.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom