Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Motherboard problems

hey guys,

I am just finishing up building my new pc, my first build. I have all my components in apart from the RAM which got delayed by Ebuyer until tomorrow. I didnt see the point in waiting for it to start building so a friend and I have assembled all of my other components taking top care and using antistatic mats and wristbands.

I figured that I would power on my copmuter once we were done to see if everything was powering up correctly, expecting my motherboard (asus k8v se deluxe) to report a memory post message. Everything powered on fine and my hard drive and CDRW/DVD lights came on with my CPU fan also turning on fine.

I wasnt sure if my bios would run up on the screen, i doubted it as i expected my graphics card would require some RAM to operate.

However a couple of things failed to happen. Firstly I reciveved no post messages which worried me a bit as no RAM was installed, and secondly my chasis (sp?) fan did not active. I switched the fan to its secondary power connector (direct connection to the PSU) and it worked fine. I also switched my warning speaker connector arround incase i had plugged it in the wrong way, however this still didnt get a post message.

Should I be worried about the lack of post messages or do you think that once the RAM is in the system should be O.K. . i know i will find out the answer tomorrow or the day after but it would help me sleep betterif i wasnt worried that i might have messed up my fairly expensive PC

Thanks for any advice / info,

Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
Default Re: Motherboard problems

i'd just wait until you have that ram in, then post with your problems
Old 09-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
In Runtime

well it wont boot without memory.....
NiKEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

It can't really do much without memory. I would generally not even dry boot the motherboard without memory cause its a waste of time.
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote