Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to Denthúl Send a message via MSN to Denthúl Send a message via Yahoo to Denthúl
Default Motherboard/power

So, once again I have a question to ask!

Basically, I've never had anything more than budget components in a computer and this motherboard I'm using in the new build (MA790FX-DS5 by Gigabyte) is a more expensive thing and has various things that I'm not used to seeing on my low end stuff. One thing in particular is this eight-pin power connector in the top right of the following image:

Now, my question is, does it need to be powered by an eight-pin connection or is a P4 sufficient? The reason I ask is that it half of it is covered by the black plastic cap.

Sorry to be such a pain with all these questions in rapid succession, but there's real money gone in to this system (unlike others where I've swapped my way up to decent things) so I want to make sure I get it absolutely right and, well, it's been nearly a year since I built a system, so, yeah...

Denthúl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Golden Master
Default Re: Motherboard/power

It's OK, it is fine to power it with a 4 pin, 8 pin is not really required, just to be "safe". As some of the high end Phenoms have 125W TDPs.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote