Motherboard, IDE, problems

Kickerz

Baseband Member
I'm really on a budget, and I'm planning on buying a Gigabyte Motherboard. Only problem with the motherboard (in my case) is that there is only one IDE channel.
Does this mean I won't be able to power my CD-rom drive and HDD at the same time? Since i don't have a sata hd.

you can have 2 devices on 1 IDE channel, so 1 HDD, and one CD drive will be fine

They can both be on teh same channel. just make sure teh HDD is set as teh master and the CD as a slave. Stay away from Cable select just to be safe.

Yea this is a big problem that i still see with people buying new mainboards these days and still wanting to use there 3+ IDE devices, i think that you will notice in afew year that most Mainboard will get rid of IDE and only have all SATA due to its speed and RAID easy setup. But to answer your question, you can still have your HDD and CD drive. Just note that next time you buy a HDD go SATA. SEE YA

Kickerz29 said:
Can I add an SATA drive to it, and have an IDE hdd, and an sata at the same time?

Yeah thats fine, it will work no problem, i used to have one of my pcs set that way

Back
Top Bottom