Motherboard compatibility

Azhar Azmi

Baseband Member
Hi, i have g31 mobo with lga 775 socket. How high can i upgrade my processor? Can i do it with intel core 2 duo e8*00 (for example)

Gonna need more info on the make and model of the motherboard. "G31" can apply to way too many different ones for anyone to make even a guess.

Apakabar, brother.

If you mean G31 Express is the chipset from Intel, then Core 2 Duo E8x00 is supported by that chipset and physically on your motherboard since it has LGA775 socket. However, even though it fits physically, it depends on the motherboard's BIOS if it allows it. E8x00 came later in the Core 2 Duo life and earlier BIOS's might not support it unless updated. The motherboard's brand, model and most importantly BIOS revision number are important to make sure.

Thanks, i will change my motherboard instead of wasting my money to buy processor that will not compatible.

Btw, should i reinstall my windows after replacing my motherboard/processor?

Wise decision. Performance is also an issue if heavy/modern applications are used.

In rare cases Windows still works with the subject newer base hardware changed, but even then, hidden issues could exist. A new installations is 99.9% necessary. Just make sure you have your license information at hand before doing that if it's a licensed copy so you can re-install it on a new computer. That's on the hardware/drivers level.

On the license level, you might need to reactivate you licensed Windows copy thru one of MS channels like their customer service. This is important. They could ask for several details like the serial number of your copy if it's physical (not the key).

Before closing the subject, at worse case scenario, a Core 2 Quad processor is still not bad these days specially if it's of a high tier and overclocked, since it's an LGA775 too. A better choice than an E8x00. Keep this in mind just in case things don't go as desired.

Good luck!

How if i change from intel to amd? Because i use intel e7500 now, and will upgrade it to amd vishera fx 6400. Should i reinstall my windows?

How if i change from intel to amd? Because i use intel e7500 now, and will upgrade it to amd vishera fx 6400. Should i reinstall my windows?

Almost ANY hardware change requires a reinstall. Especially if you are changing your processor for a whole different architecture, even if it remains x64 or x86.

I don't know what kind of hardware detection or driver installation Windows does during install, but at the very least you will have a few unused drivers.

Also, changing motherboards requires you to activate Windows again, so you should consider that before switching. A license is not that expensive, but it does cost money. You can also install Windows 10 and leave it without a license, which is what I do.

In my experience, Windows behaves strangely when changing hardware without reinstallation, so just go ahead and do it. It doesn't take much time.

Relevant webpages:

Just to give you a clear and direct answer; Intel or AMD, it's the processor and motherboard regardless to brand. Those two are what mainly define a computer's identity.

Other devices don't matter, tho. I keep replacing video cards, sound cards, external and internal satellite receivers, external and internal storage devices, RAM sticks, etc. in my computer and nothing happens. Only when I replaced the mobo and processor Windows asked for a re-validation.

Back
Top Bottom