The most desperate person in the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matthew798

Solid State Member
I am about to throw away a perfectly new 7600 GT OC Nvidia graphics card that i bought for 300$. the problem is, EVERY, EVERY, EVERY time i play a game for more than an hour or so (sometimes in less than a minute), the display freezes, the sound loops over the last millisecond making a really annoying buzzing noise and then after about 5-10 seconds the computer restarts... It happens both when i'm using the computer for gaming or downloading AND when i leave it overnight. No matter what i do the computer will ALWAYS restart itself and the store won't replace the card. Heck, they can't even find the problem. They called me up and said:"Your machine is the compaw with the 7600 right?" i said:"yes", they stupidly ask:"are you sure?". Then they tell me theres nothing wrong with it and that they've been testing it all day. So heres the information in point form.

-I have tried EVERY driver Nvidia has to offer, from old to CD to newer, to BETA.

-I have had my ram tested

-i have re-installed windows (2times)

-i have tried without the card (and it worked fine!)

-i have upgraded my power supply

-i have run windows update

-i have called compaq, nvidia, ASUS. With no luck...

-I have brought my computer to the store 3 times, they say NOTHING is wrong.

-When the card is in, this stuff happens, when the card is out, this stuff doesn't happen (the card being the 7600 GT OC)

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/26/2006, 10:52:56
Machine name: MATTHEW
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
System Model: EX318AA-ABA SR1920NX NA630
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 332MB used, 2125MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectShow (stage 1)

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0391&SUBSYS_201F19F1&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: HP vs17 flat panel monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9147 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/11/2006 21:42:52, 4496128 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/11/2006 21:42:42, 3958496 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-40D1-11CF-FA59-150000C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0391
SubSys ID: 0x201F19F1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A

Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

so if you can find the solution to this problem i will idolize you forever for beating the compusmart guys, the nvidia guys, the ASUS guys and the compaq guys.

PLZ HELP BEFORE I WRIP THE CARD OUT AND BURN MY PC!!!!!!!

Sounds like it's the overclocking to me.....maybe your computer cant handle it? Just making suggestions. Maybe try downloading Coolbits and turning the core clock and 3d clock down?

What is the wattage rating on your power supply? 400W is the minimum requirement for your video card for stability.

the psu is good enough, the store installed it at the exact same time as the video card, as for the OC, how do i do it. When i click apply it says GPU clock test failed (Nvidia Ntune) then it reverts to the OC. And do you know the exact speed for none-OC?

It should work perfectly fine since its meant to be an OC card.
I have a 6800GS though, and its OC. I unlocked pipes, and now, even after locking them, I'm getting artifacts, etc...opps.

That said, it should be fine.

How is your computer cooled?

Could be that the fan on the graphics card isn't working correctly, or most likely, since they can't find anything wrong with it, one of the pipelines, etc are damaged and more suceptible to heat.

well it's cooled with a couple of fans, nothing too much and the GPU is usually around 50c. about 3 times out of the 100s, literally, that this has happened, i got an error report dialogue that told me it was the graphics DRIVERS, but i tried every conceivable version with no luck. also what i thought was that HP overloaded my comp with their extra shit like boot optimiser and stuff, so maybe those programs are causing it...

I'm not gonna lie, but it sounds like maybe faulty card or possibly incompatability....possibly reformat and try again?

If anything, you can sell it to me for 100 shipped ;)

Sometimes pre-overclocked cards aren't always the best. eVGA's line of 7900 GT OC cards had to be recalled because they would start artifacting after it was factory overclocked. I forgot if the 7600 GT's were part of it, but yeah.

I remember I had a problem like this with a 9700 Radeon All in wonder back in the day.

The reason? I had a P4 and Hyperthreading had an issue with All in wonder cards which could cause the computer to lock up just in the way that you describe. It took me about half a year to find the problem and I tried everything that you had and I still couldn't figure it out. Eventually I had to just get rid of the 9700 and get a 5900XT instead (shame too since it was my graduation present but brought me nothing but anguish lol).

I don't really have any suggestions as to what you can do, maybe the best thing you can do is what I did - just get another card and sell your 7600.

Back
Top Bottom