Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Most basic linux distro

Linux sucks on the desktop, its as simple as that. Installed yet another distro last night that came with thousands of diffrering pointless packages included. When will the companies realise we dont want 16 diffrent programs to do the same thing, we want one that does it properly.

Most distros feel like somthing patched together over the last tewnty years and they're a big pain in the ass.

Look at MacOS, Ok I dont like it, but its based on Unix and at least its steamlined, simple and stable. Yet Linux isnt, you need to write a novel to get stuff done, you spend half the day just maintaning the damh thing. I'm personaly sick of it.

What I want now is the most basic linux distro I can get. I dont mean newbie freindly. I mean basic. I dont want X, I dont want KDE, I dont want 3000 pointless packages. I want the command prompt and the abuility to add what I want!

Is there any distros out there where I can get this these days?

Old 05-08-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Try Gentoo. It's all compiled from source, so you choose exactly what you want. I've never tried it, but friends of mine do say it takes forever to do anything.

Linux is OK on the desktop, but there's no reason to use it instead of Windows.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
BSOD

Default Re: Most basic linux distro

STFU you know nothing about linux and chances are you had some crappy distro. You don't know the first thing about it so shut up. and you are going to need KDE or gnome or some other choice. also the packages are great not to mention gentoo linux is. if i want mozilla firefox i open a terminal and type "emerge firefox" and firefox is installed within seconds. so dont start dissing linux when you probably haven't even used some of their great distros.
Computergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
BSOD

sorry if i snapped i just like my linux nothing towards you.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:26 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergen
STFU you know nothing about linux and chances are you had some crappy distro. You don't know the first thing about it so shut up. and you are going to need KDE or gnome or some other choice. also the packages are great not to mention gentoo linux is. if i want mozilla firefox i open a terminal and type "emerge firefox" and firefox is installed within seconds. so dont start dissing linux when you probably haven't even used some of their great distros.
Was that aimed at Delta or me?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
BSOD

delta
Old 05-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
I first used linux in 1997, not much I admit, 2 years ago I used it daily for almost 6 mounths. I have used Mandrake 6 - 10, Corel, SuSE 9, Red Hat 6 - Fedora core 3, Knoppix, and a handfull of others. Last year I did 2 modules at HNC level (Operating Systems and Multi User Operating Systems) in which we used nouthing but command line Linux.

Im not claming I'm any sort of expert, but I'm not exactly a stranger to it ether. I would appreciate it of you didn't tell me to "STFU".

I've heard of Gentoo, never though about trying it, I'll check it out.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #8
In Runtime

I like!

I downloaded the Mini ISO (about 50mb)

No GUI etc.. Its neat but basic.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #9
BSOD

BTW, whats wrong with KDE?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
In Runtime

Nouthing really, its not bad, could be a bit more stable and neater but its proberly my favorate GUI of all (including non-linux platforms). I was once branded a "Windows Fanboy" and banned from a Mac forum for saying I preferd KDE

I just want a basic linux distro with no GUI right now. Gentoo seems great.