More questions about bf's new video card.

cluelessgf

Beta member
I posted a week or two ago about getting a video card for my boyfriend's present. I was leaning toward the HD 4850. I've since decided to spend some extra money and go for the 4870. I found the Sapphire for 219.99 which is a stretch of the budget in itself, but I would really like to get the 1 gig version as opposed to the 512mb. I really *can't* afford that, Newegg has it cheapest for 264, and I'd bet prices aren't gonna drop on them again anytime soon.

But just out of curiosity, is it worth the extra $50? Some of what I've read say it'll get you an extra 5 or so fps (which I'm not spending $50 on and boyfriend isn't playing anything as taxing as Crysis atm) and others would have me believe I'd be a noob to not get the 1gb.

Also, and this is more important. I hear the cards tend to run hot and while he may be getting a cooling system for Christmas as well, I'd rather be on the safe side. I'm assuming it's best not to get one with a stock fan, but again I'm trying to be affordable here. Could somebody steer me in the right direction?

Thoughts yes/no? I'm fast running out of time to order it by being wishy washy. Thanks for your additional help.

The only way I think the 1GB is necessary is if he has a 22"+ screen, otherwise the 512MB will be more than enough, it's not going to make a lot of difference in most games.
Also, and this is more important. I hear the cards tend to run hot and while he may be getting a cooling system for Christmas as well, I'd rather be on the safe side. I'm assuming it's best not to get one with a stock fan, but again I'm trying to be affordable here. Could somebody steer me in the right direction?
They still run at safe temps, even though it seems hot, it's still running within boundaries. He can always turn up the fan speed very slightly. The Sapphire looks sweet BTW, it's the one with the custom cooler, right?

And I like how girls know how to write properly on teh interwebz.

Hey again :)

Yeah Worshipme me is right, the 512mb version should be fine.
What made you change your mind on the 4850?

Either way, the 4870 is faster than the 4850, and that will certainly make up the difference.

Video cards can run at 120 degrees C, which tends to be the max before anything will start slowing down on the card to protect itself.
It should run way below that threshold :)

You could go with a GTX 260. It's a good bit cheaper and performs better in most games. It has 896MB of memory. Spend the extra $20 and get the Core 216 version. Huge difference in performance.

Back
Top Bottom