Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default More questions about bf's new video card.

I posted a week or two ago about getting a video card for my boyfriend's present. I was leaning toward the HD 4850. I've since decided to spend some extra money and go for the 4870. I found the Sapphire for 219.99 which is a stretch of the budget in itself, but I would really like to get the 1 gig version as opposed to the 512mb. I really *can't* afford that, Newegg has it cheapest for 264, and I'd bet prices aren't gonna drop on them again anytime soon.

But just out of curiosity, is it worth the extra $50? Some of what I've read say it'll get you an extra 5 or so fps (which I'm not spending $50 on and boyfriend isn't playing anything as taxing as Crysis atm) and others would have me believe I'd be a noob to not get the 1gb.

Also, and this is more important. I hear the cards tend to run hot and while he may be getting a cooling system for Christmas as well, I'd rather be on the safe side. I'm assuming it's best not to get one with a stock fan, but again I'm trying to be affordable here. Could somebody steer me in the right direction?

Thoughts yes/no? I'm fast running out of time to order it by being wishy washy. Thanks for your additional help.

cluelessgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: More questions about bf's new video card.

The only way I think the 1GB is necessary is if he has a 22"+ screen, otherwise the 512MB will be more than enough, it's not going to make a lot of difference in most games.
Quote:
Also, and this is more important. I hear the cards tend to run hot and while he may be getting a cooling system for Christmas as well, I'd rather be on the safe side. I'm assuming it's best not to get one with a stock fan, but again I'm trying to be affordable here. Could somebody steer me in the right direction?
They still run at safe temps, even though it seems hot, it's still running within boundaries. He can always turn up the fan speed very slightly. The Sapphire looks sweet BTW, it's the one with the custom cooler, right?

And I like how girls know how to write properly on teh interwebz.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Hey again

Yeah Worshipme me is right, the 512mb version should be fine.
What made you change your mind on the 4850?

Either way, the 4870 is faster than the 4850, and that will certainly make up the difference.

Video cards can run at 120 degrees C, which tends to be the max before anything will start slowing down on the card to protect itself.
It should run way below that threshold
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

The 4850/70 cards run really hot, it's just the way they're designed. I have the Palit 4870 and with the fan at %55 temps have never gone above 60C under load and I can't hear it.

Visiontek also has one with the same cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129113
Old 12-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

You could go with a GTX 260. It's a good bit cheaper and performs better in most games. It has 896MB of memory. Spend the extra $20 and get the Core 216 version. Huge difference in performance.
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote