Thanks for replying Giancarlo.
I would like it if more than one person replied because obviously one person will not know all the answers to all my questions.
The fan controller you have suggested is a very good idea, however it is white in colour and it does not look too good. I would like one with a big screen which displays temperature, fan speed, etc.
Please everybody in this forum try to answer my questions.
1) Do fan controllers only show information on fans? Can they control the heatsink on the CPU or does this always stay at a constant speed?
2) If suppose I want to know the temperature of the case, processor etc, then can this all be displayed on the fan controller?
3) I am thinking of buying the Antec TrueBlue 480W.
Firstly will this be enough for the following components:
Gigabyte SoA nForce 2 GA7 400 Pro 2, Athlon XP 3200+, 512MB memory which I will upgrade to 1Gb, heatsink for CPU, a PCI graphics card (Radeon 9200 SE) which I will upgrade for a GeForce 6800 GT/Ultra, DVD drive, Floppy drive, sound card (maybe) 5.1, plus maybe LED’s and cold cathodes etc?
Will I need more power e.g. 550W?
4) It says the fan speed is adjusted according to load and with the ability to control case fans, would this mean there would be no point in me getting a fan speed controller, and suppose if I do, can I override the PSU’s control on the case fans, or do you think that it is optional to control the fans via the PSU?
5) If this PSU is not very good or I require more power can you recommend a different one?
6) A friend of mine told me that if I was to buy Athlon 64 3000+ or any other 64 bit (e.g. 3200+), then the processor will only run at half its speed. For example a 3000+ with a speed of 2GHz would on a normal 32 bit OS, run at only 1Ghz. Is this true?
7) The Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754 512Kb for £96 is only about £5 more than the Athlon XP 3200+, so would this not be better? However if the above question was true than obviously it would not be a good idea.
8) If the Athlon 64 3000+ is the processor to choose then is this motherboard any good: Gigabyte nForce3 Socket754 ATX Audio/LAN/RAID for £65.23, full specification at http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=37GF
If not which motherboard should I get keeping in mind that anything over £65 is too much because I do not have enough money.
Also it should only have 5.1 surround output not 7.1.
9) If you do recommend me to get Athlon 64 3000+, will I need a more powerful PSU?
10) How can I find out the maximum temperature my components should reach before damage? Can somebody recommend me a heatsink for Socket A and Socket 754?
11) The dimensions for the Thermaltake Tsunami case which says ‘Extended ATX’ are: 495 x 210 x 478mm. So will an ATX board fit in this case? However my friend said that it probably does have the required things to fit an ATX board, if anyone in this forum knows if the ATX board will fit in this case PLEASE reply.
Do you know of any pics of the Thermaltake Tsunami case after it has been fitted with the components? If so please write the website.
12) This will be the first time I will build a computer, however since I was very small I have wanted to make my own computer. I have spent about 5 years doing research whenever I got the time, now I am 16. Any tips/warnings for when I build my computer? My friend had a Athlon XP 3000+, but when he went to put the heatsink on he scratched the surface of the CPU and destroyed it by mistake, has anyone got any tips/ideas/videos/pics/information on how to fit a heatsink safely for Socket A and Socket 754?
13) The Thermaltake Tsunami black coloured case comes in two different designs, one with a side window and one without. However I was wondering if I could buy the one without the window then if I feel like it; buy a separate Tsunami side window (original one). However I am not sure if I can buy the side window separately, (not just the window but the whole side so I can replace the side with a side window).
Does any one know where I can buy this from, or if this is even possible?
However I might buy one with the side window but I will pick after looking at any pictures of the Thermaltake Tsunami case after it has been fitted with the components, requested in question 11.
14) To make the case look good the drives e.g. floppy, DVD drive will have to be black to match the colour of the case….. right?
15) I do not have a credit card because I am only 16, and my parents are self-employed so they have ‘business’ cards which cannot be used over the internet. My friends’ dad has got a credit card but he will not let me order the items over the internet because his card only allows him to spend a certain amount of money every month, which is fair enough.
So this means I cannot order the items I wanted from Dabs.co.uk, which is where I was going to get them from.
However I asked my local computer shop which is quite a small shop called AD 3000, for the Athlon XP 3000+, the Gigabyte GA7 400 Pro2 motherboard, 512Mb memory PC32000 Non-Parity, unbuffered, CL3, and the Thermaltake Tsunami case;
I asked them for a price for all of those components and they told me that their suppliers will tell them if they can first of all get them those components, and at what price, but they told me that the memory will not be of the company Crucial which is what I wanted but it will have the same specifications, will this have a performance difference, remember I will be using it primarily for demanding games.
However I doubt they will be able to get all of the components especially the case, so can somebody please tell me if there is a different way of getting these items form Dabs.co.uk without using a credit card. If not how else can I get these things I want, remember I live in Kent, and there are not many computer shops around and those which are there are quite small.